Mountain Buzz banner
1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My SO can get a pretty good deal on the Yukon 150 coolers. I can't say I care for the molded handles, but we also have a hard time thinking about paying $500-600 for Yeti or Engle brand cooler. Does anyone on MB have any experience with the Yukon coolers? Are the molded handle a real draw back?

·
Registered
484 Posts
Your specific question regards experience with the Igloo Yukon which I don't have so I can't help you there. However, I will say this. Canyon coolers are the shiznippity. I can personally vouch for the products and the guys. They have a 155 for $450. Not sure what kind of deal your SO can get on the Igloo but it appears to be $650, so unless it's a smokin' deal I know what I'd do. Happy hunting.

·
rafter
50 Posts
I've got a 150 qt. IGLOO cooler. Easily replaced the molded plastic handles with rope and pvc pipe grips. And as usual, I find that cooler habits make a bigger difference than the cooler. I can keep ice for 15 days in the Grand Canyon. Keeping your cooler covered with wet burlap really helps as does an inner cover. Downstream, Russ

·
Registered
238 Posts
I've got a 150 qt. IGLOO cooler. Easily replaced the molded plastic handles with rope and pvc pipe grips. And as usual, I find that cooler habits make a bigger difference than the cooler. I can keep ice for 15 days in the Grand Canyon. Keeping your cooler covered with wet burlap really helps as does an inner cover. Downstream, Russ
I was thinking about the Igloo Yukon but didn't get it for because of the handles. Did you just cut the handles off? If you have pics I'd love to see them.

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
I don't think rioperro has a Yukon, pretty sure he's talkin' about one of the cheaper Igloos.

Cutting of the molded handles would be a really bad idea, it would loose it's seal and much of it's insulating ability, not to mention get water inside and saturate the foam.

On a molded handle note I have a cheaper Gott 150 qt with them (pretty similar in appearance to the Yukon really) and I was surprised that it fits perfectly between my tubes, almost like it was made to fit there. It was a gift and my first impression was waste of space but it turns out I like it. Moral - check out the dimensions or dry fit one - it may fit really well...

·
Registered
572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks guys. She can get one for around $350-80ish, but it's one of those no return deals, so we want to make sure it fits. I'm waiting for Igloo to get back to me on the dimensions at 11'' from the bottom. We have 42'' between the tubes at the lower frame rails, so it will probably fit.

·
Registered
2,140 Posts
I have a smaller yukon and love the thing. It holds ice like no tomorrow. 1 bock of ice and a 10 pound bag for cocktails lasted my girlfriend and I for a week on Lake Powell. I like the molded in handles as they are not going to break or rip out in a flip. Good luck

·
Registered
572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well, Igloo CS wasn't super helpful, but based on the specs it looks like the 150 is 42'' x 20'' under the handles. That'll work. Won't be easy to drain without pulling it out of the frame though.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Hey TMACC I bought a mammoth cooler on Woot. There is a thread here somewhere about them. I haven't used it yet but it looks super nice, has good rope handles, real nice latches, hinge etc. seems very well built and was cheaper than what your looking to spend. Not sure if your interested in other brands but I would recommend it. I also can attest to the Canyon coolers. They are nice as well.

Jim

·
Registered
572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks Jim. Haven't definitely decided on anything yet, except we want a cooler in the 150 qt range and don't want to pay $600 for it. Mammoth isn't on Woot at the moment.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I have had the Yukon 125 for 2 years. Also own a 65, (maybe it's 70 Pelican), and sold two Yeti's to buy the Yukon. Of the 4 the Yukon is the best. Molded handles are a minor obstruction, but not that big a deal. Had ice through day 22 on an April Grand trip. I believe the insulation on all 6 sides is the thickest in the industry. Most new coolers boost of 2.5 to 3 inches of insulation in 2 to 4 of the sides , but then shorten the insulation in one or two of the remaining sides. The Yukon is 2.5 to 3 inches everywhere. Would have bought a Yukon over the Pelican but wife found a give away price at Costco last year on the Pelican so we ended up with it for our second, smaller cooler. Would buy Yukon everytime if I needed another cooler. I live in SLC, call or drop by if it would help to see ours.

·
Registered
572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks. That kind of experience helps a lot in our decision. We have a Igloo Marine 162 qt cooler and it's ok, but even frozen and duct taped, it was about out of ice by day 14 when we opened it on our May '09 GC trip. We're invited on a April trip next year. Planning for it now.

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
Coolers all come down to physics and heat transfer. Better and usually thicker insulation will slow down the rate of heat absorption into the cooler. Im pretty sure the volume to surface area ratio has a lot to do with it to, hence a larger cooler will outperform a smaller one. There is also more space available in a larger cooler to pack more ice and result in a longer trip with cooling. There are also the other tricks like transport and run the river with a damp towel covering it to evaporatively cool the outer surface and minimise the thermal gradient and amt of heat transfer from outside to inside. Also tricks of prechilling the cooler a night before with some sacrificial ice or even better use a cooler locker at your grocery store. Finally, pre freeze the contents and dont waste your ice by adding beverages at the put in

·
Registered
365 Posts
I have 42" between the tube and used a NRS 150qt cooler on a GC trip. last Sept. Worked great kept ice for 19 days easily. Had the same problem with access to the drain, but I finally realized it's not a good idea to drain anyway, once the ice was completely gone and food I noticed the water alone kept my beers much colder than the river for several days.
Another cooler brand I'm impressed with is Black Rock Coolers they are as good as any of the premium brands and much cheaper. I've owned several Yetis and they definitely as good.
I think all the premium brands are good about the same quality.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
I have the Yukon 150. unfortunately I never even used it, before now trying to sell it due to house repairs. I can say that it is as tough, well insulating, as any other top end cooler out there. I don't particularly like the Handles either, but it's not a problem at all. The bottom fits in between my tubes, and due to the radius of the tubes the handles almost match the exact contour. sorry I can't tell you better than that, but if you're using this for a long term expedition cooler, I wouldn't hesitate at all. PM me if you're interested in mine

·
Registered
572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
If we can't for some reason get the prodeal, we may be in touch. I asked my S/O to check and see if they are still available. We're heading out this afternoon for a RH weekend w/ the mutts, so it may be next week before we find out anything.

·
Registered
59 Posts
REI

REI sells Yeti (great deals if you're a member). They are somewhat limited in what they offer but they do have the 105. I bought my 75 Yeti from them last year. Between the dividend and the sale it was cheap - really cheap. It can be shipped free to store for pick up (good deal if you're close to any of their stores).

·
Registered
572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Sooo...we decided to pull the trigger on this deal despite what we thought was a ridiculous shipping cost. As mentioned earlier during this thread, Igloo does tack on a $100 shipping charge. When we compared what we hoped were the features of this cooler to Yeti and others, we went ahead and placed the order.

My initial thoughts on it are as follows.
So, the box that they use for shipping was beat to hell. No damage to the cooler though. The roto-molded plastic is very heavy duty. Comparable to Yeti et al IMO. Big difference in rigidity compared to most coolers. The lid doesn't flex when I knee on it. The handles are part of the roto-molded shell. It would be nice if they folded down like most coolers, but not that objectionable and they could be use to strap it onto the frame. It's a heavy cooler, and with the molded handles, damn difficult to pick up by yourself due to the length, even when empty. The lid really is 3'' thick and the sides really are 2'' thick. The drain plugs seal tightly. They're big in diameter and have a good gasket. The cooler is pretty wide. You're gonna need at least a 20.5'' cooler bay. The gasket around the lid seams to seal tight and is of good quality. The hinge pin is bomber and the SS plate that you can put a lock or 'biner thru are HD as well. We've never needed to lock a cooler, but it's there if you need it. I guess if you strapped the cooler by the handles to the frame, you just clip a 'biner to it in a major rapid that you think you could flip on.

According to my measurements, it's 147.4 qt. Not that far off of the 150 qt claim. Compared to the Yeti 160, which is really 124 qt. and cost almost $700.

Our April GC trip will be the first test for it. We'll see how it does.

1 - 20 of 67 Posts