Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so a bought a used boat for a great price and this is the only flaw it has. I have never repaired an inflatable so any advice would be great! It seems like it has been patched before. I do not know how it ripped. Thanks for the help in advance ! Pic will be below. IMG_1292.jpg

·
Registered
312 Posts
I would cross stitch it closed with some nylon string before cleaning the whole area and throwing a single large strip patch. Be sure to rough up the surface of both the floor and the patch with sand paper so the adhesive has something to stick to, and follow the instructions on the adhesive meticulously.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
Registered
385 Posts
Stabond will work for both Hypalon and PVC. You will need a cleaner before you glue, if it’s PVC that you ar working with, then the correct cleaner is going to be MEK. If it’s a Hypalon boat, then you want Toululene. Kinda looks like pvc in the picture, but I am not certain, what brand of raft is it?

Also, go take a look at the tutorials on the NRS web site, those guys have som great info on doing glue work for either type of material.

Everything involved with gluing is very toxic, where a respirator, chemical resistant gloves, and have Lots of fresh air.

That looks like kind of a tough project, for a first glue job, where ya located at? If you were in Colorado, I would say talk to Zach over at raftfix.com
I’m sure you can pull it off, but might be good for a pro to do, especially the way that floor has kept tearing open after the first patch.

How is your pressure relief valve situation? Almost looks like that floor could be doing that cause of over inflation, weird looking problem, should probably have a good inside patch going past the rip, so it doesn’t keep getting longer.

Good luck man!

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Stabond will work for both Hypalon and PVC. You will need a cleaner before you glue, if it’s PVC that you ar working with, then the correct cleaner is going to be MEK. If it’s a Hypalon boat, then you want Toululene. Kinda looks like pvc in the picture, but I am not certain, what brand of raft is it?

Also, go take a look at the tutorials on the NRS web site, those guys have som great info on doing glue work for either type of material.

Everything involved with gluing is very toxic, where a respirator, chemical resistant gloves, and have Lots of fresh air.

That looks like kind of a tough project, for a first glue job, where ya located at? If you were in Colorado, I would say talk to Zach over at raftfix.com
I’m sure you can pull it off, but might be good for a pro to do, especially the way that floor has kept tearing open after the first patch.

How is your pressure relief valve situation? Almost looks like that floor could be doing that cause of over inflation, weird looking problem, should probably have a good inside patch going past the rip, so it doesn’t keep getting longer.

Good luck man!

It’s a star starlike brand. I think the material is 1000d pvc.
Funny thing you mention Zach. I actually called him and wanting to know if he could give me some tips over the phone and he responds by telling me he doesn’t do tech support. So I said thank you and hung up. Didn’t seem he wanted to help me. Not upset, he is a private business owner and he is allowed to do as pleased. So i am going to use NRS and they will have my business. They are super friendly and informative! They also have a good bit of products online that I can buy.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
He didn’t have to give me any info at all. I’m all for private companies do what you gotta do. We live in capitalism ! Thank god! I can go next door and find service I’m looking for :)

·
Registered
85 Posts
It’s a star starlike brand. I think the material is 1000d pvc.
Funny thing you mention Zach. I actually called him and wanting to know if he could give me some tips over the phone and he responds by telling me he doesn’t do tech support. So I said thank you and hung up. Didn’t seem he wanted to help me. Not upset, he is a private business owner and he is allowed to do as pleased. So i am going to use NRS and they will have my business. They are super friendly and informative! They also have a good bit of products online that I can buy.
Found the guy who doesn't run his own business.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Pretty sure I didn't talk to you. When did you call? Ive been gone for 3 weeks. I've never told anyone "I don't do tech support". I do typically try and keep the free advice fairly short but have never said that. You may have talked to Zach at IT. This is a super busy season for repairs.

Yesterday. I completely understand. Would love to fix this tear ! I could easily shit rig this like Prevoius owner but instead I rather Consult with experts before I do.

·
Sponsoring Vendors
1,476 Posts
I guess first I would advise apologizing for posting false info about me before asking for help, but thats just me. Then, I'd advise taking off the old patch, do a full length inside and then outside patch. Before you do your outside patch make sure the inside patch is mostly if not fully holding air. In the shop I would do the outside patch inflated. Good luck.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Absolutely! I do apologize! Your def not the same Zach in Colorado that I spoke to yesterday. That was a mere coincidence. Thanks for advice.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts