Mountain Buzz banner

would you buy a partner steel DO the same dimension as the old Rome Combo Cooker?

• hell yes,

Votes: 55 79.7%
  • no

Votes: 3 4.3%
  • who cares

Votes: 11 15.9%
1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Shapp
1,870 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Partner steel makes great anodized aluminum dutch ovens with griddle lid that are trapezoid shaped. They are welded together, not cast like most other aluminum dutch ovens.

The Rome Super Cooker, the big rectangular one with the griddle lid that fits perfectly on a partner stove and makes a great DO for meals for 8 to 10 peeps, has almost a cult following, but haven't been made for a long time and Rome has no plans to fix the problems they had to produce some more.

The question:

If Partner Steel made a hard anodized aluminum dutch oven he same design they have now:

but made it a similar dimension as the Rome Super Cooker:

would you buy it? Just for assumptions, lets say $200 or less, as their most expensive 14" DO is less than $150 currently.

I inquired to Partner Steel today on this topic and they aren't interested in adding a DO to their line up at this time, but an inquiry by some unknown yahoo like me probably doesn't mean much. A thread with a bunch of stoke may change their mind. It seams to be a simple matter of just making their existing DO longer instead of square shaped. Since they are welded, its not a casting problem, but a matter of programming a machine or building a jig depending on how they cut out the pieces that they then weld together.

They already make a "lasagna" pan on special order that is nearly the same size as the old Rome Super Cooker but it doesn't have a lid. If they added a griddle lid to their lasagna pan, there you have it.

·
Registered
858 Posts
I'd buy one for sure, but I'd hope the handles could detach or fold someway. That's the only thing I don't like about my Rome.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Mountain Buzz mobile app

·
Registered
122 Posts
If it were sub $200 and had welded wire handles instead of the Rome type I'd absolutely be a buyer. Make it so the 14 or 12 qt units nest inside and it be even better.

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
"They already make a "lasagna" pan on special order that is nearly the same size as the old Rome Super Cooker but it doesn't have a lid. If they added a griddle lid to their lasagna pan, there you have it."

I emailed Partner Steel and advised them of this thread and my desire to have a copy of the Rome fish cooker made by Partner Steel. Also asked about the lasagna cooker. They sent me back a picture of the lasagna cooker and I totally agree some sort of top similar to existing Partner Steel Griddles would make that lasagna cooker into a very reasonable version of the Rome fish cooker dutch oven / fry pan. As mentioned above, I doubt if they would respond to the other poster and my email but I believe the more people who post to this thread and email them just might help them decide to make a test run. I have a bunch of PS products and all of them are built to last a lifetime maybe longer. Spread the word and email Partner Steel as well.
dave

·
Registered
397 Posts
I'd buy one, especially if it was made so that the partner steel griddle I already own is the lid. (In case you're reading this Partner Steel, I have the 12" X 18" for the 4 burner break apart.)

·
Registered
397 Posts
Find out how many they'd need to sell to make it worth their while and then get a an Indiegogo or other crowdsourcing fund started!

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
Here is the response I got from Partner Steel after I asked them about the lasagna pan. I think I will order the lasagna pan anyway. My thoughts are the lasagna pan would be a perfect fry pan for massive amounts of things like home fries etc.

The Lasagna pan has the same base and angle as the griddle. Difference is 3” sides.
Because of the angle and extended sides, the griddle would fit in the lasagna pan, not seal it and griddle handles would rest on the top edge of the pan.
Lasagna Pan: $100.00

Bill Roskelley
Partner Steel Co., Inc.
208 233 2371

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
Due to this thread, I emailed Bill at Partner Steel and ordered the lasagna pan as discussed in this thread.

The pan came in today 25 august 2016.

Like all PS gear the pan is a work of art.

My plan is to use it more or less as a griddle with sides to keep home fries inside when cooking for a large group.

I told Bill in a email I would buy for sure a lid for the lasagna pan if I could put charcoal briquettes on the lid and use the setup as a dutch oven.

I hope you gents keep after Bill until he makes some lasagna pan lids even if special order.

dave

·
Registered
806 Posts
I've had two of his lasagna pans for three years. Still good as new and they've replaced just about all other cookware in my "kitchen" other than my DO's, using them for essentially every dinner or breakfast meal. I no longer carry a skillet and only rarely a sauce pan. They were designed to be similar to the old Lodge fish pans. Mine came with slightly sloped sides which initially I didn't like, but now very much appreciate as they nest together very well, taking only the space of one in the kitchen box. Each exactly covers two burners on the full size PS stoves. Like all their anodized aluminum, they clean fairly easily. Satisfied customer.

Jon

·
Registered
397 Posts
I've had two of his lasagna pans for three years. Still good as new and they've replaced just about all other cookware in my "kitchen" other than my DO's, using them for essentially every dinner or breakfast meal. I no longer carry a skillet and only rarely a sauce pan. They were designed to be similar to the old Lodge fish pans. Mine came with slightly sloped sides which initially I didn't like, but now very much appreciate as they nest together very well, taking only the space of one in the kitchen box. Each exactly covers two burners on the full size PS stoves. Like all their anodized aluminum, they clean fairly easily. Satisfied customer.

Jon
How do they do with pancakes?

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
Thanks duct tape, you verified what I hope to do with my new pan.

I hope a lot of us Partner Steel customers write Bill and ask for a lid. I would gladly pay for a custom lid to prove the point.

With a lid, that would mean less DO's for me to carry.

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
I voted no but only because I really don't like cooking on aluminum. I'm kinda old school and prefer using iron.

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
I haven't been up close and personal to any partner cookware, but it looks like welded plate material that has then been annodized... Maybe it has a textured finish kind of like cast or maybe it's smooth...???

Either way, if we (you) can't talk him into making one to your liking, why not go elsewhere? I mean, I'm sure James would be happy to tig weld up some shit and get it to you all next year sometime... or you could have a reliable local welder piece some stuff together to your liking and have it anodized. I believe you can get an egg shell like finish with acid or bead blasting?? maybe? but my anodized AL cookware at home (just went to the dark side after 20 years of dedicated cast iron use) is pretty damn smooth.

My point is the folks at Partner are not the only folks to magically join metal and then oxidize it's outer layers. Maybe we (that is the you, as in someone else, of we) should think of looking elsewhere? Si? No?

1 - 20 of 71 Posts