Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It was fun seeing all the tent options in the Colman tent thread. Every year i see helfrich outfitters with these tents set up and am curious what it is.. simple solution would be to call them and ask.. but thought i would check here first.. my first thought was a eureka timberline but they seem bigger..

Sent from my SM-G920V using Mountain Buzz mobile app

Attachments

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
The photos do look a lot like the timberlines I remember from the old days

I do know these tents came in several sizes

The people I know who had timberlines back in the day were really happy with them

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I found it.. its the eureka timberline sq outfitter 6... looks very intriguing but if i bought another tent my wife might kill me..

Sent from my SM-G920V using Mountain Buzz mobile app

·
Registered
469 Posts
I'll never forget the night I walked into Troop 2 HQ to find a stack of brand spankin new Timberlines. Little easier to pitch and strike than the many years old canvas tents we'd been sporting for years. Smelled a little better too if memory serves, and definitely less skeetery. Troop 2 was the Bad News Bears of Scouting.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Spent many years camping in a Timberline 4. My dad still has his original, brown fly and cream color body, with a fly that was significantly larger than the green Timberline I bought for myself 10 years later. They are super easy to set up (why guides like them) and the design sheds water like nobody's business. But, you can see in the picture how the sloping A-frame walls are a bit of an issue with cots. Every tent is a compromise of 1 sort or another.

·
Registered
133 Posts
I believe these are the Timberline XT OUTFITTERs. Heavier duty zippers and zip up mesh. They look like the 4 person but could be 6.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Those tents are such a pain in the ass to set up. I would never buy one in a million years! Adventure Sun Valley has those and when I would run the gear boat you would have to set 10 of those things up. They are ridiculous. You would be better off with something like this.

https://www.kelty.com/outback-6-tent/

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I believe these are the Timberline XT OUTFITTERs. Heavier duty zippers and zip up mesh. They look like the 4 person but could be 6.
The 4 person is only 4'9" tall. the pictures sure look a lot taller.. The 6 man is 6'4" tall.

·
Registered
250 Posts
The Timberline series is known in older parlance as the draw-tite, having its origins in the old cotton Blanchard Draw-Tite. Built by a few other people ... (Morson ... Monson?) Having used many of the Timberline versions, I found the "Outfitters" are worth the money and the weight. I spent decades shaving ounces from my kit, but I'm now looking for one of the old "Sailcraft" (cotton sailcloth) biggest-sized Blanchard tents, or parts. Hey, even another 6-man Outfitter" would be nice. The Timberline is still another Draw-Tite by Blanchard.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Hi,

A two man Timberline and a Eureka Drawtite we're our first family camping tents, the theory being let mom and dad have some privacy by putting the kids in the Timberline.

The attached photos show the Drawtite, which had a rather sturdy external aluminum tube frame covered by a waterproof fly. A bit more headroom than the Timberline, at the expense of weight. But we were car and canoe camping at that stage, so weight was not an issue.

And after you did it a few times, setup on either tent was fast and easy. I actually still have one four man Timberline, in fact ..

FWIW.

Rich Phillips

Attachments

·
Registered
75 Posts
One of my first family sized tents was a 4 person Eureka Timberline. I believe it was the Outfitter version which means you pay a little extra and get a tougher floor. The design was easy to set up and there was quite a bit of headroom. It did ok with rain but not so good with wind. It would not be my first choice if wind-bound in some remote river camp.
Take a look at the Marmot Limelight series. I have a 4 person and love it. Lots of guy outs and full coverage with the rain fly. Have never done it, but you could likely fit 2 cots in this model.
If money were growing on trees I'd take a hard look at a snowtrekker tent.

·
Plunk your magic twanger!
1,266 Posts
One of my first family sized tents was a 4 person Eureka Timberline. I believe it was the Outfitter version which means you pay a little extra and get a tougher floor. The design was easy to set up and there was quite a bit of headroom. It did ok with rain but not so good with wind. It would not be my first choice if wind-bound in some remote river camp.
Take a look at the Marmot Limelight series. I have a 4 person and love it. Lots of guy outs and full coverage with the rain fly. Have never done it, but you could likely fit 2 cots in this model.
If money were growing on trees I'd take a hard look at a snowtrekker tent.
Haha! I have a Timberline Outfitter 6 and was car camping in Echo Park when a crazy-windy storm came through in the middle of the night. All the stakes came out of the ground and I was lying spread eagle trying to keep from tumbling away while my wife and son huddled in the corner. Waterfalls began coming off the cliffs and a river was flowing through my campsite. We didn't sleep well that night but it did keep us dry. I had to straighten a pole between two boulders. We left for a hike early and when we got back the entire campground was empty. The ranger had come around and told everyone that if they didn't leave the road out was going to be impassable. I think all their tents were busted anyhow. The rain stopped and we had a lovely night with Echo Park to ourselves. Thanks for bringing up a good memory!

I wanted a wood stove in my tent and considered modifying the Timberline but opted for a Seek Outside Redcliff tipi instead. I also bought a bunch of Rockbuster tent stakes to keep it on the ground.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Has anyone used one with just the fly, or have you tried it attached to a raft frame on a boat. Seems like it would be interesting as an alternative to a TP for shelter on a raft.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Hi,

I actually used a Timberline fly on my 20' cat, by making some PVC fittings that snapped over the frame tubes, into which the tent frame dropped. Worked quite well.

Sadly, no pictures exist...

Fwiw

Rich Phillips

·
Registered
196 Posts
Eureka Timberline Outfitter...

...the outfitter I used to work for used these tents. There are some pros and cons. Pros: they stay very dry in the rain, and are easy to set up. Cons: they don't pack down very small, they are heavy, and they don't have as much headroom as a dome style tent.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts