Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi - I wanna check out the Lawson hole, can someone tell me what the ideal cfs range is for it? Right now (6/22) the AW page says its running at 709cfs.

Also - how do I get there?

·
Registered
2,085 Posts
Travelling east on I-70 you take the Lawson exit, take the first right and hook around further right so you are travelling parallel to the river going upstream. drive about a hundred yards and park at the far end of the rafting company's lot on the right. Gear up, walk about a hundred feet upstream and find a path down to the river. There are several playable drops but THE HOLE should be obvious. It's worth the trip over 300 and starts getting good over 400. I've never been there this high but I'm guessing it's still good. Maybe someone with better flow knowledge of the hole will chime in. Enjoy!

COUNT

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
There are a bunch of good surf wave/holes on the run from lawson to idaho springs in addition to the lawson hole. There is one big surf wave hole just about the takeout park in idaho springs that was a big ass rowdy rocking ride a couple days ago. Super fun.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sweet! I'll have to check that out.

Anybody know the range that constitutes a 'good' flow?

Thanx

·
Registered
32 Posts
I have seen people playing happily and successfully in that hole at pretty much all levels. If you are going down there and if you are into river running in addition to playboating, you should be advised that over 700 cfs, the run below the hole to the Mt. Evans exit takeout on I-70 is probably one of the best "bang for your buck" runs in all of Colorado. It is good at lower water too, but above 700, it gets "really" fun.
90 minutes to 2 hours of intense almost continuous Class 4/4+.

There is also a section near the end before the Outer Limits rapid that has several excellent surfable features. I just learned recently that some locals down there call it surfer's alley (or something like that).

As far as a more specific answer to your question, I can personally confirm that the hole is playable between 400 and close to 900, which is the range within my experience.
-Dan

1 - 5 of 5 Posts