Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
770 Posts
Oh, I'd like to know the answer to this also, could definitely use a winter WW run.
I haven't been in there this year so I don't know for sure.

But we had a pretty deep freeze on the western slope from mid-Dec through mid-Jan. There are still ice bridges across the Colorado in town, in places where I've never seen anything close to it.

I'd think WW would be locked up, thus I haven't been in to check.

The good news is it's much warmer this week, with more warmth in the forecast, and the ice along the river in town is fading fast.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I'd put another bet that it is pretty darn locked up right now, much more so than in years past. Even with some nice warm weather, the canyon itself isn't going to be getting too much sun at this time of year.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Yea I figure March sounds about right, especially as cold as its been this winter. The last few warm days got me thinkin the time is gettin near though, hopefully!

·
Super Moderator
3,965 Posts
Hi,

This USGS Current Conditions for USGS 09163500 COLORADO RIVER NEAR COLORADO-UTAH STATE LINE suggests that if the Stateline gauge is iced up, then the flatwater stretches -- particularly on the lower end of WW -- could be hiking territory for a while longer.

FWIW.

Rich Phillips
Thanks Rich - that's pretty sobering because I'm not sure where the state line gage is, but the photo on the USGS webpage makes me think it's fairly open with lots of sun. If there's ice at a place like that, then I'd certainly expect ice dams where the canyon's are narrow and shaded a lot.

I had some buddies awhile back that wound up caching their boats and portaging with only a little mini-me sized boat (the Rhino) around a huge ice dam on RHT once. All of them floated out the tiny boat next day. They had to come back after the river thawed and get the rest of their boats and gear, I think it was around Valentines day that year. There were some great photos of them dragging the frames and gear through the snow that brought to mind Scott and Amundson.

I've heard that Debeque Canyon is a good proxy for Westwater and RHT - if you see ice while driving through the canyon on the way out to GJ, then there's likely ice down in Westy and RHT. That said, Debeque isn't nearly as deep and narrow as the inner gorge of Westwater.

Even though I'm not a real fair-weather boater, the thought of needing an ice axe and crampons on a rafting trip just seems like a bad thing no matter how you slice and dice it....

Rather than a bunch of internet arm waving and conjecture, you could always call the BLM in Moab and ask them.

The skiing really isn't so bad right now.

Good luck if you decide to go for it.

-AH

·
Registered
28 Posts
I called the office today and the lady said they were flying over it today. I'm hoping to still get on it but if we have to move it back no big deal

·
Registered
63 Posts
Just got a note from a friend who works at BLM. Photos show blockage on the lower end at and above Big Chief (see preceding post with photo). No reason to head out now.
Ready for spring!

·
Registered
46 Posts
I don't know about Westwater, but the river was 100% ice cover at the Cisco bridge on 2/27.

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Hi,

Ah, yes, the Cisco bridge. Didn't there used to be a 7-11 right before the on-ramp on the east side of the river there?

Rich Phillips

1 - 20 of 31 Posts