Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone ever had that happen. I was sold a new kayak from AlderCreek kayak sales in Portland Oregon. They never told me it was going to be a blem but it is marked 2nd quality and there is a big B melted in the side of the boat.....

Should I worry about this?

I emailed them and they haven't gotten back to me.....

·
Registered
861 Posts
The boat is structurally fine. The only thing wrong with a Blem boat is that they have some sort of cosmetic issues.

I have paddled Blem and team boats for the past 8 years and have never had a problem.

But, blem boats are also slightly cheaper, so definitely get Alder creek to reimburse you, if possible. For example, Jackson Kayak is selling their blem boats for a $100 cheaper.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply. I did get a good deal on it. $795 to my door. I would have felt better if they would have told me though.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok...I am happy, they are going to give me a free rescue vest. I do believe them when they said it was an accident I was sent a blem.

I would do business with this company again....

·
Registered
70 Posts
Portland Paddler Reply

Glad to hear Alder Creek is taking care of you. There were some issues with their customer service over the last few years, as they came under new ownership/management, but I've had pretty good experiences with them.

That said, if you are going to buy gear on line and are looking for really good advice and customer service, I would suggest the Kayak Shed in Hood River (http://www.kayakshed.com/) I'm not affiliated with them, but have purchased my last 3 boats from them and they also helped me (actually did all the work) getting a replacement boat from Jackson when mine cracked. John Hart is the owner and if you ask for him, he's always glad to help out/give advice/generally be a good guy and he stands behind the products he sells.

Just my two cents :)

·
Registered
795 Posts
Wow, that's one hell of a deal. Props to that company for stepping up.

I have a Blem boat too (habitat)....I got it $100 cheaper and the only thing wrong with it was a gouge (smaller than MANY I have caused since). I've beat the living crap out of mine for two seasons...nothing wrong with a "B" (in most cases).

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
good companies

still some good companies around.

Kayak store owners seem to be some of the best people as a whole. I have been very lucky dealing with everyone that I have.

The owner of the store in moab....I forget the store name...that guy was super nice........

I like my habitat.......makes me want to go creeking!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts