Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
707 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have a friend that has been bugging me to try his C-1. I have been kayaking for a little while, and have never once wanted to try a C-1. After making fun of him many times for running his, and swimming on easy runs he decides to shut me up. He gets me in it on an easy class 2 to 3- run today. Long story short, four swims later I have more respect for C-1ers. Although I will stick to my Jefe Grande, Super Star, and Sho-Gun paddle.
P.S. I will say this I never pulled my skirt. With those you kind of fall out while trying to roll :)

·
I kayak DH.
794 Posts
A couple years ago I took a dude from the SE down W. fork CC in a C-1... I'm pretty sure that makes the river a full grade harder right there!! I was thoroughly impressed, that kid killed it! That crap is SO hard!

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Sorry.. But what does c-1 mean?

c-1 = Canoe 1, crazy bastards on their knees with only half a paddle rocking it :) Normally refers to a whitewater canoe setup with a closed cockpit, a lot of times a retrofitted kayak. You will see a lot of abbreviations like that, the first refers to the watercraft, the second is the number of people in craft. R2= Raft with two people, K1=kayak with one person, ect....

·
Registered
4,607 Posts
I saw the C1 guys at the US championships here in Missoula a few weeks ago. They were like poetry in motion. Way cool.

·
Registered
614 Posts
I kayak and C-1. C-1ing takes more concentration than kayaking since you have to predict more what the water will do to the boat, especially when you might get thrown to your offside. You learn a lot about control and finesse thru blade angle with a vertical paddle position and only one blade. It takes more practice to C-1, but if you stick with it’s rewarding, too.

·
Registered
614 Posts
It’s mostly about motivation. All the accomplished C-1er’s I’ve met had some open canoe whitewater experience before they got a decked boat. Some of the best C-1er’s have never kayaked. A lot of whitewater open canoers are skirt averse and a significant number don’t perfect a roll. Most kayakers don’t see any reward in making something they already do more difficult.

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
I love C1 and OC1 boats. It gives you a different aspect of boats and water and can improve your overall boating skill, esp. if you break a paddle and are left with one blade!

·
Registered
76 Posts
Me and a bunch of buds around WV paddle class V around here all the time in Open boats... I have met a good number of solid class V open boaters here in the east, people don't seem to understand the extent of rivers that canoes can be taken. There don't seem to be nearly as many open boaters out west though

·
Registered
685 Posts
I think Cadster explained the differences nicely. You do really have to read the water and plan in C1 or OC1. I think OC1 especially requires you to look at a rapid differently then a kayak or C1. You have to think about how to run it dry, versus bombing holes and waves because a canoe full of water makes it even harder. OC1 does make you a better boater, but the open boat tends to hold most of us to III/IV. However, there are some C1 and OC1 V paddlers out there and they have my respect.

I have just went to C1 from OC1. To me C1 is harder in a different way, requiring you to paddle differently then an OC1 and more demanding from a roll perspective. I want to a C1 so I could bomb the holes and waves, not worry about filling up and to become a better paddler. Also, I was tired of running and dumping water in big rapids, it is challenging for sure.

I have never kayaked beyond a swimming pool. To me, kayaks always felt very confining, can't see very far a head, hard on the lower back, and no leverage on your strokes in comparison to a C1.

There is a group of 15 -20 III/IV C1/OC1ers from Colorado, not many Vers that I know. I know several OC1ers that are finally converting to C1, including me. The hardest part of C1 is sitting on a low saddle and leg/knee pain, but with some of these bigger river runner kayaks (Burn, Karnali, H3:255, Everest) this problem can be mitigated by using a higher saddle.

There is a big OC1 and C1 get together on the Ark this weekend through next weekend, so you might see a few of us, if your on the Ark. :)

·
Registered
807 Posts
I have a C-1 and paddle it a few times a year. I really like paddling a C-1. It can be more fun at times to have that extra leverage particularly if you are surfing a flatter wave. Good C-1 paddlers are impressive to watch. I love watching C-1 slalom.

The problem for me is just like kindergarten. I can remember during story time, looking over at those kids that could sit with their knees bent and toes pointed so they were basically sitting on their ankles and I would wonder why I could not do that. I still can't do that. If I sit in a C-1 for more than 20 minutes I literally can not get out of the boat. I have to go over to a beach and intentionally swim out and float in the eddy until I am able to walk again...other than that...it is really a fun way to paddle.

·
Registered
685 Posts
Mike, how high is your saddle? Kneeling on a low saddle has been my problem with going from OC1 to C1. I just outfitted a h3:255 with 7 1/4" and it is manageable for me versus a typical 4-6" high C1 saddle, no way.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Being someone who grew up in an open boat, taking to a C-1 was the next step. It really does give more leverage, a higher vantage point to scout rapids from, and a certain style that can be pleasing to the eye.

After breaking lots of paddles when moving from NC to Colorado I gave up creek boat C-1 paddling and just run rivers and playboat now in a C-1. Sure it is painful and sure it has no off side brace and feels way tipsy in comparison with a kayak.

After kayaking for 10 years I can say the switch was not too difficult, two braces and rolls are more effective that just on one side...

But when you get on a wave and can throw your weight more effectively and crisply than anyone else, you know that you are on to something special and different. And watching someone like Joe Stumpfel bring the heat up here in the Northwest on the Little White Salmon, I am just humbled. Some guys have so much comfort with it that I am impressed to no end. He also fired up Salmon River Gorge.

You all might enjoy Will Lyons and John Grace's new project THE CANOE MOVIE

here is the trailer Canoe Movie: TRAILER on Vimeo

18 Posts
c-1 = Canoe 1, crazy bastards on their knees with only half a paddle rocking it :) Normally refers to a whitewater canoe setup with a closed cockpit, a lot of times a retrofitted kayak. You will see a lot of abbreviations like that, the first refers to the watercraft, the second is the number of people in craft. R2= Raft with two people, K1=kayak with one person, ect....
Thanks, you explained that well. you should put "explained whitewater to noobs" on your resume.:razz:

18 Posts
I have a C-1 and paddle it a few times a year. I really like paddling a C-1. It can be more fun at times to have that extra leverage particularly if you are surfing a flatter wave. Good C-1 paddlers are impressive to watch. I love watching C-1 slalom.

The problem for me is just like kindergarten. I can remember during story time, looking over at those kids that could sit with their knees bent and toes pointed so they were basically sitting on their ankles and I would wonder why I could not do that. I still can't do that. If I sit in a C-1 for more than 20 minutes I literally can not get out of the boat. I have to go over to a beach and intentionally swim out and float in the eddy until I am able to walk again...other than that...it is really a fun way to paddle.
exactly!!!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts