Mountain Buzz banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a tributary 16HD, frame, oars and all that. We have reserved permits for a 3 days at Ruby-Horsethief. It's going to be great.

The problem is the Raft is a pig and I am not very good on the oars yet. Frankly, I prefer paddling. We did a day float and every time my wife took the oars was a relief because I preferred paddling.

I also want something I can R2 down class III and white water parks, something light enough to easily load and drive back up the road with. Something smaller... I don't feel comfortable on the oars in white water yet on that big ass boat. My experience is with inflatable kayaks, paddling is intuitive to us but the oars are a different animal...

I am already thinking I need a play boat... A mini max or puma.. But then again I don't want too much money un-necessarily tied up in equipment.

So now I am going back and forth between whether I need a two boat fleet, or a single in-between boat. Like a 12-13 footer. Something I could R2 as well as overnight in... The problem being that an in-between boat wont be particularly good at either...

I cant figure out if this is something everyone goes through or if I am doing this all wrong...

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The problem is when I was researching the 16; a lot of people said id want to move up to a 16 in time...

·
Registered
940 Posts
Did you just get the boat? Give it some time.

Also, consider what your use case is. I love my 16' boat, but I wanted to maximize the platform to self-support multi-day trips for up to 4 passengers. And handle bigger-water whitewater, like Cat and Westwater. It's a great boat for those things.

It's not a great boat to R2 class III - in fact, it'd be terrible at that. I'm also not going to be running the Blue or the Eagle. But I have kayaks and paddleboards for small water. And no boat is going to be great at everything. 14' boats are popular jacks of all trades, but arguably masters of none. A 12-13' boat is a fine fishing platform but it's getting tight for overnights. If you want sportiness and can maybe do a short overnight if you're packing light, it'd go fine.

But if you're new to your 16', I wouldn't jump ship just yet. Get comfortable on the oars on Pumphouse and the like and see if you can step up to a Westwater trip. Punching big waves and holes in a big boat while living a life of luxury in camp is a damn good time.

·
Registered
174 Posts
There is a major difference in capacity between a 12 ft boat and a 16 ft boat. We have a 16 ft boat and if you are looking for family multi day floats a 16 ft boat is a good all around boat especially with a couple of kids. A 16 ft boat wouldn’t be an ideal R2 boat.
A 12 ft boat doesn’t hold much gear for overnight they are also a bit more adventurous in bigger water. Especially if too heavy. It R2’s well though.

It sounds like you have a decision to make and only you and your wife will be able to make this decision.

·
Registered
775 Posts
More boats! No one has one hammer or one wrench or one pair of skiis or one bicycle.....don't forget a little tiny boat too!! Of course your wife will say things that hurt your feelings but she'll also say ," this boat works so much better in this river ". My wife said this weekend," wow we.really need a small round boat for.this river " I was so proud of her and shell be so unhappy when I give her a mini-max for her birthday. I wonder if cool kids have boats just for individual rivers?

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
Asking any one boat to do everything is just too much to ask of a boat. Ya need a quiver, 13' boats are fun.

ya don't need a second pump...

·
Registered
775 Posts
Can find super pumas pretty affordableish on market places from fisherman who decide to buy drift boats. Can get a new phat cat for cheapish? Iam so greedy I even enter silly contests to try and win them lol. Saw a guy on a 126dd this weekend and it was really nice! Small but kinda big . Keep the welder for all the frames you gotta build lol!

·
Registered
170 Posts
Rowing and paddling are different beasts. Different skills, different set-up, sometimes different lines. If you're used to paddling and rowing feels weird, that makes sense. Don't give up after one trip. Give it some river miles and days to get used to it.

Reactions: Wallrat

·
Registered
41 Posts
I felt that similar feeling after a few trips on my 13 footer, thinking I wanted a smaller boat for more play type boating. This spring, I’ve run my friends 9 footer as r2 more than my own boat. But when the time comes to go for sunset fishing runs, overnights and party beer floats, the 13 footer is perfect. Now, it’s definitely not fit to outfit multiple people on overnights, but I don’t really do much of that, at least, not yet.

In the future I see myself owning a 16 foot overnight hog and 10’ play boat. Or maybe it was a dream. Time will tell.

·
Registered
3,002 Posts
I bought a tributary 16HD, frame, oars and all that. We have reserved permits for a 3 days at Ruby-Horsethief. It's going to be great.

The problem is the Raft is a pig and I am not very good on the oars yet. Frankly, I prefer paddling. We did a day float and every time my wife took the oars was a relief because I preferred paddling.

I also want something I can R2 down class III and white water parks, something light enough to easily load and drive back up the road with. Something smaller... I don't feel comfortable on the oars in white water yet on that big ass boat. My experience is with inflatable kayaks, paddling is intuitive to us but the oars are a different animal...

I am already thinking I need a play boat... A mini max or puma.. But then again I don't want too much money un-necessarily tied up in equipment.

So now I am going back and forth between whether I need a two boat fleet, or a single in-between boat. Like a 12-13 footer. Something I could R2 as well as overnight in... The problem being that an in-between boat wont be particularly good at either...

I cant figure out if this is something everyone goes through or if I am doing this all wrong...
Your 16' will get all the gear and family to camp safely no thanks to you. Quit bitching.

·
Registered
474 Posts
The question is not: can one boat do everything. The question is whether you buy boats in two, three, or four foot increments.
I’m a cat guy, so I run a 10’, 13’, and a 16’ boat. I would really miss any one of them if I got rid of it, because as PincheCharlie says, they’re tools for a specific job.
Since you have the big boat, get on the computer and start getting permits for the Rogue, Grand, Snake, and the Salmon, there that boat can really shine. You’ll come to love it.

·
Registered
474 Posts
More boats! No one has one hammer or one wrench or one pair of skiis or one bicycle.....don't forget a little tiny boat too!! Of course your wife will say things that hurt your feelings but she'll also say ," this boat works so much better in this river ". My wife said this weekend," wow we.really need a small round boat for.this river " I was so proud of her and shell be so unhappy when I give her a mini-max for her birthday. I wonder if cool kids have boats just for individual rivers?
Charlie, the cool kids have color matched boats for each season, picked by a fung shue expert. You oughtta know that by now.

·
Sponsoring Vendors
1,575 Posts
You sir, have a serious case of the first worlds. The cure is little boat, big boat. How little is the question. If you want to take up to 4 or 5 with you on day paddle trips, 12'. If you want to get real sporty with just the wife and don't mind dumping a bit more often, get a 10.5, 9 or a paddle cat style.

The do all boat is a 14 but its not super fun to R2 and you'll want more space for longer trips, especially if the family grows or you want to take more people. Log some more miles in that 16, you'll get it. If not sell it and give up on multi days. More permits for other people:p

·
Registered
775 Posts
I need a better job personally....cause I really love boats and want a round boat and a cat boat in one foot increments. I sold my 14 round boat cause I can't stop having kids or bringing home puppies and now I need it back for a Sunday run. Boo hoo poor me. AND it would be way better if my with took a 10 footer and I took a 12 with grandparents. So now I need two more boats outfitted by Sunday and I need two more employees so I can finish the work so I can even go on Sunday. I can't not go so...I better go charge up my card today buying two new boats and I'll just not eat and send the kids to school naked. Done! Problem solved!

·
Registered
801 Posts
The problem is not the boat...

Find someone who can/will show you how to set up your oars so you're at least able to move the boat with each stroke. If you think having the handles further apart is in any way better you need help. If the handles/shafts are smacking your legs you may need to adjust tower height - or sit lower.

On second thought, you have a welder but bought a frame...? Looks like rowing boats is not your only "challenge."
Best stick to paddle rafting day runs and sell the Trib - you will have no problem finding buyer, boats are scarce this year.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts