Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my 19 yr old daughter wants to take a couple duckies and go float clear creek tomorrow. The put-in is just west of Hwy 6 & 93, and they will float into Golden to about Washington Ave.

I have never look at this stretch and she doesn't have a lot of paddling experience under her belt (The San Juan at high water thru Government Rapid doesn't count for much in my book).

Are there any obstacles here that I should be concerned about. I certainly don't want to put her in an awkward situation that she can't handle.

any advice as soon as possible would be appreciated.

·
Registered
251 Posts
What Riko said. Clear Creek from tunnel 1 down to/through the play park is cranking right now. Avoiding the diversion dam isn't hard. Just stay right. However the flow is high, that water is cold, and since they likely won't have the proper dry gear I would really really not recommend it.

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
The water is high right now. If you have good dry gear, good safety gear, and you can self rescue from a flip in high water, then go for it. If you are lacking in any one of those I would advise against it. I would also advise scouting. Water is moving very fast in golden.

·
Super Moderator
4,836 Posts
There are other options available. I suggest driving a little further for a safer and consequently more fun, experience.

·
Registered
267 Posts
I agree with the others....Given her experience level + grou p experience level + water level and temp ...,,seems like a bad idea......that said at 18 your pretty tough...,they may lose a boat and gear, they make get a few cuts & bruises, possibly even break a bone...get real cold....but I do no think they would die if they have pfds , and no strainers are encountered.

scott

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks for all the advice. We have plenty of wet suits, PFD's, etc. But as her dad I'm a bit concerned about the water level and her self rescuing skills. If she can just be patient I'll take her to the Ark when I return from the Yampa.

Thanks again everyone.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Perhaps she can go with an outfitter the first time; then she can be supported and given training. Some: Renaissance Adventure Guides in Golden and RMOC on the Arkansas (Kayak trips and instruction, SUP trips and instruction, rafting trips) in Salida. They have IK trips there too as referenced on that website. Yes; they cost money but then she and her friends can enjoy the experience, learn, and meet others who like paddling. It's much better than getting on the water and having a miserable time because you don't know what you are doing and/or are over your head.

Just my thoughts.
All the best,

·
Registered
328 Posts
Clear Creek right now is fast, and yet still rocky and shallow. The chances of getting beat up and losing gear during a swim are high. Even in the relative safety of the play park, swims for beginners with little experience can be long, cold and rough. I think that park at high water has probably ended many a beginner boater's whitewater career...I know of a few for sure.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts