Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2,843 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My nrs gloves are worn through again. I think I may have actually gotten 2 years out of my last set. What are you using? Do they hold upo well? I guess my main criteria are: good paddle grip, warmth and finally durability. The salamanders don't fit me well, what else is out there?

·
Registered
567 Posts
NRS makes a paddling mitten as well which I recently discovered. MUCH, MUCH warmer than the gloves. I've never been a fan of mittens for any application, but in this case I'm digging them because they're super warm and after 1 run you're accustomed to the feel.
The drawback of course is you have to take them off to do anything that requires the use of your hands such as using your thrwbag etc. But for simple cold water river running & play they are fantastic.

·
Registered
4 Posts
have you tried pogies before? i find that my hands are much warmer with them than gloves, with better paddle control as well. try a buddy's out and see what you think

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
gloves

Dave take another look at the NRS gloves. And, take a closer look at the Navigator. It's a great combi of warmth and grip. Than take a look at NRS waranty. If you've worn them out, NRS will replace them for free. No other paddling glove will do that.

·
Registered
207 Posts
NRS does have great customer service. Unfortunately, I know that because I've had to send my NRS gloves in twice in the last two years because they couldn't hold up to normal wear and tear.
One time the stitching blew in some of the fingers, second time was the finger tips wearing completely through in two fingers.
I understand that making them more durable might compromise some dexterity, but there's got to be a better way.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
gloves

NRS makes 16 different types of gloves. I bet if you looked again you would find a few that can handle your normal wear and tear. As for me I'm going on year four with the same pair. So, for me they work awsome.

If your looking for tough as nails look at the Rescue Glove (NRS-2439). Nothing is stronger.

·
Registered
145 Posts
It must be tough to make a glove that grips and lasts. But if they don't grip, who cares how long they last?

Gloves that last don't seem to grip very well. Most gloves made for kayaking fall into this category in my opinion. They're a little grabby at room temp, but who paddles at room temp? Put 'em in cold water and the rubber hardens making them less sticky.

To get a grip, you need a soft, tacky rubber. I like Glacier Aleutian gloves. I get a better grip with these than I do barehanded. As for warmth, I've found them to be adequate when I typically paddle (spring), but they're only 2 mm neoprene. Last time I paddled mid-winter, I found them to be a little chilly. Since they're soft, they're not that durable. Within one season I start to get a hole at the base of the thumb on the non-control hand. They typically last me about a season, maybe two if I'm being cheap.

REI used to sell them, then I bought a pair from Camp-Mor, but I'm not sure they sell them anymore. Here's a few companies selling them online:

http://www.sailgb.com/p/aleutian_neoprene_gloves/
http://www.campinggurus.com/Glacier-Gloves-Aleutian-2mm-Neoprene-Glove-Medium-p-2629.html
http://www.bittersweetgear.com/glacgloval2m.html

·
Registered
460 Posts
Not to highjack a post but, any help is greatly appreciated. I've noticed that since I moved to cali (no coincidence I'm sure) that I've been very whiteknuckled to the point where my hands start to hurt bad and I cant grip my paddle effectively. Its only on one hand, that it takes its toll and I have had a broken finger or two on this hand.....suggestions? I know its not strength because I can palm a basketball, I've never had problems skiing (poles) or with paddling in the past.

-aaron

·
Super Moderator
2,843 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks Don. How long is that NRS warranty? I 've been throwing them out for years. I'll stop in next time I'm in Denver.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts