Mountain Buzz banner

21 - 40 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
To me, my sunglasses are among my most important pieces of outdoor gear. Even before I gave in to needing prescription glasses 25+ years ago, I have had a quality pair of polarized sunglasses. They are always on my face, around my neck, in their case in my ammo can or hanging from the rear view mirror.

If sunglasses aren't that important to you, go with a lower priced polarized pair with chums or croakies. If you haven't lost them or broken them in a year or so, you may want to look into a nicer pair.

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Ill be honest, i feel like i see better without them and iam a jackass who allways loses good stuff. I allways have a pair but usually they are ones i find and are all scratched up lol. I hava a 20 year old pair of smiths that i cant see out of at all now. Just picked up a pair of sun clouds. They are nice and light and better fir me than really exspensive just cause i really do lose stuff. And i look like a movie star too!! Thanks!

·
Registered
35 Posts
Anyone else think that Smith sunglasses are going downhill? I'm trying to replace a pair of Smith Drake sunglasses that were incredible.

Every replacement pair I've ordered from them has obvious signs of corner cutting (mold part lines, cheap hinges, less durable lenses, finishes that rub off). I know they have a superb replacement program but I just don't see the value of them anymore.

Maybe the other suggestions above will suit me better.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I know some people might laugh at me for saying this but the best glasses I’ve ever had were my coasta’s. I owned them for 5 years with no scratches cracks or breaks. Only issue I had was the rubber piece fell off and cracked for the nose bridge but I just super glued it back on. Unfortunately they lost their life because my buddy dropped my tailgate on them. I’ve been playing with getting new glasses, but $300 is a hard price to swallow. That being said though I have yet to find even cheap glasses that truly fit my face right or take the uv eye strain away. I used to only buy the cheap stuff because everything I buy I lose or break. The first costas I got where free so this second pair is probably not going to last very long 😂😂 Idk I’m a firm believer that you get what you pay for. You can definitely over pay for stuff, but you can definitely buy some Chinese crap. Just my 2 cents 🤷🏻‍♂️

·
Registered
92 Posts
If you want to see and have protection with less eye fatigue; get polarized lens in your RX. Very few of you have perfect eyesight. I am a retired optometrist and was always amazed at what people chose to wear off the street for sunglasses.NO glass if you want safety. Proper coating reduces scratching and it is usually warrantied for a year.

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
Anyone else think that Smith sunglasses are going downhill? I'm trying to replace a pair of Smith Drake sunglasses that were incredible.

Every replacement pair I've ordered from them has obvious signs of corner cutting (mold part lines, cheap hinges, less durable lenses, finishes that rub off). I know they have a superb replacement program but I just don't see the value of them anymore.

Maybe the other suggestions above will suit me better.
for years the only sunglasses i wore where the Smith toaster sliders. They fit my small face. they discontinued them and i could never fine another pair of smiths that fit me right. That brought me to the sunclouds that i like. I won a pair of guideline sunglasses at a TU banquet in a basket. Shockingly enough they fit me great and are really nice. Not too expensive either.

·
Registered
360 Posts
I buy replacement lenses for my older smith frames that I love. They aren't too expensive and I get to keep rocking some nice frames. Revant optics is the brand I've used and they are perfectly fine for the river.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I have to wear prescription sunglasses if I want to see for fishing. My eyes aren't so bad that I need glasses to see EVERYTHING (I ski with just regular goggles) but it sure makes things nice. I use my eyes every second that I am awake, so I might as well get good glasses. I used to go with cheap-ish frames from the eye doc, but the coating would wear off, or the hinges would break. Now I'm using Ray Ban frames and my only complaint is the sun can come in from the sides more than I would like, but that's what the big straw hat is for I guess. Prescriptions get weird on the more curved wrap-around style lenses.

·
Registered
SOTAR Custom 14'6", 22" tubes / AIRE Wave Destroyer 14'
94 Posts
No judgment for those who opt for cheap glasses. I get it.

But I'm one of those annoying people who almost never loses glasses, so I buy good ones. And yet I've still been trying to find the perfect pair. My criteria:
Polarized
Wrap-around for full coverage
Will hold a Chums strap effectively
Fit under a helmet (not all do - like many Oakley sport glasses
Don't have replaceable lenses that will blow out if you take a bad swim

This might not sound all that hard to find. But I've also got a wide nose bridge, So that's another factor.

Consider this, too: If you're an angler of a certain age, consider sunglasses with readers embedded if you don't use prescription glasses. In my 50's, I have a hard time threading a leader into a fly eyelet. So I just bought a pair of polarized Maui Jim sport glasses with reader lenses. I didn't opt for prescription - just 2.0 magnification readers. I can already read maps and GPS better, so I'm really pleased.

·
Registered
286 Posts
I needs some good ones . Any afoardableish ones you'd recommend that would be good? I think I need to learn to wear them on the water even though I kinda don't like them on my face. Must be tightish and I dunno are there ones that deal with splashy ok. My eyes are sun burnt and hurt a little. Thought I'd ask even though it's not fun and riverey.
Watch the sales on Steep and cheap or Sierra Trading Post and get yourself a pair of Costa's, Smith's, or Maui Jim's. you won't regret it. Good Polarized glasses are the bomb.

·
Registered
436 Posts
I used to buy expensive ones, but they seam to get broken. Now I buy moderately priced safety glasses.

I’ve bought this pair 2x now, first pair lasted about 3-4 years.

Edge TSMAP218 Dakura Polarized Wrap-Around Safety Glasses, Anti-Scratch, Non-Slip, UV 400, Military Grade, ANSI/ISEA & MCEPS Compliant, 5.04" Wide, Matte Black Frame/Aqua Precision Blue Mirror Lens https://www.amazon.com/dp/B002BW0WA...abc_D9TQJVNXEF3CFK7DY4MC?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1
Ha - I use the same ones! They last a couple years before a film or scratches develop.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Paid $35 for some Sunclouds this spring, so far so good.

I keep getting adds for replaceable lenses so might try that for my old Smiths.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Yes, I think Smiths are going downhill a bit. I think the timing is too close to them nuking the Ketchum HQ to be coincidence but I don't have first hand knowledge. A lot of the old guard doesn't work there anymore.

They're still all I wear but the last FOUR pair of Guide's Choices (my favorites) have all had the lenses delaming around the edges of the lenses. They keep sending me a new pair but after awhile, the same thing happens. The tortoise frames always seem to peel now too. I guess as long as they keep sending me warranty replacements, I'll keep trucking with them.

PS-Sunclouds are a sister of Smith and made in the same factories. If you don't need the Smith name or get a hook up on them, I'd look to Sunclouds if you like Smiths. They are basically the same glasses as the lower end Smith line with different frame shapes.

·
Premium Member
2,269 Posts
Smith used to make quality glasses, I was addicted to a model they called the Moab for many years, but they must have found out that I'd like them because they quit making them. Same thing with the Oakley factory pilots, the sunglass to have for skiing or snowmobileing, but they found out I liked them so they quit making them..

Reactions: dkingslc

·
Registered
9 Posts
Breakline Optics make a nice, reasonably priced pair with a one-time, no questions asked replacement warranty for loss/theft + (I think) lifetime on lens/frame repairs. I like(d) Costa del Mar for their 580 glass lenses, but their warranty and customer service has gone south over the past decade. No complaints about Zeal, either. You can pick up Costa or Zeal on steep & cheap at really reasonable prices. Costa 580G has been the best for scratch resistance, even when using them while angle grinding steel.

21 - 40 of 53 Posts