Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I needs some good ones . Any afoardableish ones you'd recommend that would be good? I think I need to learn to wear them on the water even though I kinda don't like them on my face. Must be tightish and I dunno are there ones that deal with splashy ok. My eyes are sun burnt and hurt a little. Thought I'd ask even though it's not fun and riverey.

·
Registered
NRS Otter 150, Oars
3 Posts
I used to buy expensive ones, but they seam to get broken. Now I buy moderately priced safety glasses.

I’ve bought this pair 2x now, first pair lasted about 3-4 years.

Edge TSMAP218 Dakura Polarized Wrap-Around Safety Glasses, Anti-Scratch, Non-Slip, UV 400, Military Grade, ANSI/ISEA & MCEPS Compliant, 5.04" Wide, Matte Black Frame/Aqua Precision Blue Mirror Lens https://www.amazon.com/dp/B002BW0WA...abc_D9TQJVNXEF3CFK7DY4MC?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

·
Premium Member
2,260 Posts
Safety glasses, I wear the bearcat brand with a 2.0 diopter magnifier so I can read the maps.. They are 6 bucks a piece, so I don't cry of I scratch them.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I buy polarized fishing glasses at Walmart for $9-10. Doesn’t hurt much if I lose them, leave them, drop them, etc and definitely reduces eye fatigue.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Knockarounds are solid. Cheap. Usually sub 35 bucks for polarized ones. They're polycarb lenses not glass, but sting way less when you lose or break them. Had em tested at the optometrist and they're full on polarized, filtered 99% of UV light

·
Registered
6 Posts
Goodr brand are nice as well. Polarized as well and they have many color combos to choose from and cost around 25 buck a pair. They are nice and light I wear them on the river and also when I run outside.

·
Registered
467 Posts
Now for a different take. I like my eyes. Buying cheap sunglasses is like buying cheap PFD's - protect what is important to you. Glass lenses are the best because of the sand. I use Maui Jim's. Yes Ive lost a pair at $150 but small price to pay for superior vision and UV protection

·
Registered
95 Posts
as an ophthalmologist I have no problem with cheap sunglasses....studies have shown that most cheap sunglasses (occasional exceptions) have safe UV protection.....a higher price lens may have a more crisp optical surface but not a health issue....I personally like polarized lenses for river wear, easier to see into/through surface glare especially for fishing...if it's a prescription sunglass lens almost guaranteed to have safe UV coverage....glass is heavier and more fragile than plastic, but to each his own preference....polycarbonate lenses are the absolute safest re impact resistance/safety but the optics are slightly "irregular/weird" IMO, especially in stronger prescriptions....... Chet

·
Registered
21 Posts
I agree with jgrebe. Contrast and compare a cheapo pair with a nice pair of sunnies and the difference is astounding. You can get a nice pair of sunclouds for $60. Spend a little more on a pair of glass lenses are they don't scratch as easy. $3 for croakies so you can hang them around your neck when not in use helps prevent loss.

·
Registered
64 Posts
When I saw you title "I haven't bought sunglasses in years" i had to laugh because in my family of 5, we tend to lose 1 pair of sunglasses per 1-3 river days. It drives me crazy, but despite having chums on them, they tend to disappear into the river. So we buy some $15 dollar ones that are polarized (we fish too) from a local grocery store. I try to keep 2-3 extra pairs in an ammo can before each long trip.

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
I have sunclouds as mentioned earlier they are smiths cheaper glasses and really like them.. also have had gas station and cheap ones i dont hate. I have a small face and finding glasses that fit can be a struggle.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Nice! After work all see if i csn find a fee of the brands mentioned. Gonna be a hot summer it would seem. Thanks everyone for the help!

·
Registered
2,043 Posts
I am going to maybe go against the el cheapo sun glass recommendations.

Decades ago I found these surfer style sunglasses. At the time an avid hard shell kayaker and this style stayed in place. All the bells and whistles built in.
After loosing my first pair at MFS lunch stop sulphur slide (placed on the rock by my PFD where I ate a sandwich), I figured out how to keep my sunglasses either on my head or a safe place. Not sure what the price is now.

·
Registered
368 Posts
As someone who took an oar handle in the eye that shattered a glass lens and almost cost me an eye I wouldn't recommend using glass lenses for any sport that can involve impacts. Plenty of good non glass options out there.

·
Registered
604 Posts
I own a pair of Maui Jim's and a pair of Smiths both with polarized glass lenses and there is no comparison IMO in clarity to a cheap pair of glasses on the water. My MJ's are well over 10 years old and have had broken lenses and replaced parts. The repair costs are fair and the return time is pretty quick and they are my favorites. I prefer the glass lens for the clarity and because I believe they scratch less but can break.

The new polarized Smith's is what all the cool kids (fishing/raft guides) are wearing these days because the clarity is off the hook and they repair their products no questions asked for free.

All of my glasses get outfitted with a pair of Chums which helps keep them from getting scratched or lost.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts