Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So here's the quick and dirty....my fiancé and I moved to Grand Junction in April --> Went on a Ruby Horsethief trip in July --> Bought our first raft in August --> Spent about 7 days on the river from August to October (GJ town float, Upper Colorado around New Castle) --> Now I'm here!

Really psyched to learn and dig into a new sport! I shattered my heel in a climbing accident in January and finding boating has helped me get back out!

·
Premium Member
733 Posts
First of all, welcome to Colorado and the Buzz! You'll find all types of information on gear, trip planning and great river stories. I started out on the same runs 20+ years ago and am the happiest when I am on the river, any river.

If you have specific questions, just post, lots of sage advice to be had

Reactions: MT4Runner

·
Super Moderator
4,050 Posts
Welcome to the Buzz! There's also the search function that you can use as most issues have been discussed. A great book to get is Jeff Bennett's "The Complete Whitewater Rafter" which has lots of good info about river running, hydraulics, oar and paddle boating, and so forth.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Hey man,
Welcome. I’ve been on here for just a few months and have gotten such good feed back from nearly every member. A really welcoming group. A few pointers - know how to use the search bar and don’t create duplicate threads meaning your question (especially as new to the sport) has probably been answered. Cheers!

·
Registered
510 Posts
Watch the old experienced boaters. You will gain so much from observing them. They usually do things the most efficient and logical way. I have also found that old boaters read the river really good because they can’t rely on youthful brute force to make up for bad river lines. They’re also fun to get drunk with and listen to rad stories.

Tda

·
Premium Member
1,251 Posts
A great way to meet other rafters (me) and learn fast is to put in for 12-16 permits on all the rivers you can think of, get lucky and invite me. Like tanderson suggested bring a bottle of Jack and I'll tell stories along with all the other old farts you invite;)

·
Super Moderator
4,050 Posts
A great way to meet other rafters (me) and learn fast is to put in for 12-16 permits on all the rivers you can think of, get lucky and invite me. Like tanderson suggested bring a bottle of Jack and I'll tell stories along with all the other old farts you invite;)
This is definitely a good idea, however make sure you know something about the rivers before putting in for the permits. Every year people who don't realize what they're getting into put in for high water permits on really serious rivers they lack the ability to run. This wastes lots of these permits that are really, really hard to get.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Welcome to Grand Junction! It's a great place to play outdoors. There are plenty boaters in town. There are different public access points through the valley so a lot of different sections and lengths on the river. Hang out at the boat ramps and see how they rig. Loma and Westwater are great places to see how people rig for multi-day trips. Ask questions - most boater love to talk about rafting. Bring beer! There is a group called Grand Valley Paddling Club but I haven't really been involved (I should be). Wet Dreams is the local boating store. Go spend some money and get to know them. Network, network, network. I'll see you one the river, in the spring!

·
Westernmost
18 Posts
Welcome to GJ! I can definitely relate; like you, moved here within the year, bought a ducky and have been hooked ever since. Hope to see ya on the river

·
Registered
3,534 Posts
Welcome KrustyAndy!

I started out on the same runs 20+ years ago and am the happiest when I am on the river, any river.
I started out 23 years ago...sought to improve and run harder and harder rivers.

Now I still enjoy Class IV, but I'm happiest on the river, any river...yes, Class I and Class II are fun again.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Welcome to GJ! You have some great local runs and plenty of others just a few miles from town. Look up the Grand Valley Paddling club on Facebook if you haven't already.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Ruby was my introductory/fall in love trip several years back as well. I know that feeling! And now that I have kids Ruby is on the list every summer. See you out there!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts