Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello! I own a 99 hyside raft and found a small leak underneath the band that goes around the edge on the older hysides. I was wondering what would be the best way to repair the leak. Should I just glue the band down or is it more difficult of a fix?

·
Registered
356 Posts
Zach Baird will be along to tell you more.

Where to you live? There's a shop in S. Denver called Inflatable Technologies that can be found at raftrepair.com, run by Zach S, does great work

There's also Zach B who is in Salida that can be found here or at raftfix.com who also does great work.

I trust em both and listen to whatever they say for repairs. Zach B posts a bit here and is a trusted source of info.

·
Registered
777 Posts
Zach Baird will be along to tell you more.
Where to you live? There's a shop in S. Denver called Inflatable Technologies that can be found at raftrepair.com, run by Zach S, does great work
There's also Zach B who is in Salida that can be found here or at raftfix.com who also does great work.
I trust em both and listen to whatever they say for repairs. Zach B posts a bit here and is a trusted source of info.
I second getting a professional repair done, either Zach Baird at raftfix.com Or Zach Sack at Inflatable Technologies raftrepair.com can help ya out. Remember, it might cost more to try and fix it and fail than to just have it done right in the first place. Both have done work for me in the past, with great results. I do believe Zach Baird used to give a discount to buzzards, not sure if he still does or not.

·
Sponsoring Vendors
1,425 Posts
Depends on what is going on under there on how you repair it. At any rate, re-gluing the rub strake (yellow band) is not the answer. If there is a hole at the edge of the strake you'll want to peel it back and patch it. If it is a seam leak ( there is a seam under the strake on hysides) it will likely need to be repaired from the inside out.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It definitely is a leak for the seam. When you say inside out does that mean removing the strake or something else. Also thank you guys very much!

·
Sponsoring Vendors
1,425 Posts
You have to get to the inside seam tape where the failure is. Two ways to do it. Peel strake, outside seam tape, seam and inside seam tape find the failure, and rebuild. The other is to slice the boat open wherever your best guess is and go in from the slice looking for the inside seam tape failure. Likely you'll see a wrinkle in the tape or find it loose. One of the problems is that just because its leaking at "that spot" from the strake, that may not be where the inside seam tape failure is. There is a "channel" created and air can run the channel until if finds the easiest way out. Could be 3" or 3'+ from where it is leaking out of the strake. Until you find where the inside seam tape failure is, you can't fix it. If potentially peeling apart 3' of seam doesn't sound appealing....

Another option if its a super slow leak, is to use the interior sealant. If you go that route, I would recommend the product that Inflatable Tech sells over the NRS or god forbid, West Marines peanut brittle.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts