Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Beginner
2,470 Posts
Nope. Assuming you've chosen a boat in good condition, and chosen the appropriate material/series and size for your use, you can trust the brand's reputation for excellent boats that are relatively easy to repair and last for generations.

·
Cpt. No Scout
517 Posts
why skip out on SOTAR? Ya live right next to the factory. If anything were to ever happen in the next 6 years, you can drive over to SOTAR and shuve it. well you know. It would cost you $200 shipping just to get any warrenty work done at a hyside suggested repair center. $50 to drive to SOTAR and have lunch and a beer. Don't get me wrong hysides are great boats. But why pass five milk farms to get your milk? SOTAR builds rafts with the same quallity as hyside and in your back yard. IMHO, any welded boat is superior to any glued hyplon boat. there has to be value in that. do you really want to call hyside get a RA, ship your boat frieght, and go without your $4.5K boat for a month durring floating season? or would your rather drive to sotar and have them fix ya up real good. just saying.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I agree with the Sotar angle but I'm looking at a used hyside package for what seems to be far less dough than a Sotar . Not in a huge hurry so I might keep my fingers crossed for a Sotar.

·
Cpt. No Scout
517 Posts
I agree with the Sotar angle but I'm looking at a used hyside package for what seems to be far less dough than a Sotar . Not in a huge hurry so I might keep my fingers crossed for a Sotar.
I'm a maraiva-aire fan (i live close by) any way did ya check out the sotar "hot sheet" these boats tend to go on sale in the spring time and you can take a couple bills off the listed price.

Sales Hotsheet | SOTAR

·
Registered
716 Posts
Put me down also as a very satisfied Hyside owner since the end of 2001. I use it a lot and because of proper maintenance and anal care while in use, people say it looks new. However, up close you can see a few nicks and stains on the rubber.

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
They are all good boats. However, when one gos flat, the urethanes and the PVC boats are back on the river in 1/2 hour. The patching of hypalon take time. Urethane boats have better longevity than hypalon ...pound for pound.
God bless plastics and their glues--they really do work quickly and are unbelievably strong. Just don't expect a lifetime out of these repairs.

·
Registered
501 Posts
Hysides are great.

Urethane boats have better longevity than hypalon ...pound for pound.
What do you base that statement on? There are Hypalon boats from the early 80s still going strong. Older Urethane boats delaminate.

Dude, for a family boat, get the Hyside. Take care of it, and you can pass it on to your kids.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
it's done! Picked up a RM 14 at a great end of year price. I'll let ya know how it goes. Thanks for all the Help Buzzed folks. See ya on the water!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts