Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
763 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1. Why does clifton hypalon glue need 3 coats when they're urethane glue only needs 2, and other hypalon adhesives often only state 2 coats?

2. I assume the knuckle test is the true indication of the readiness for the next coat, and not the amount of time?

3. If I just wanted to do a wear patch, is there any reason I couldn't get away with 1 coat?

That glue is expensive!

I put 3 d rings on yesterday (did 3 coats and used the accelerator as recommended) and used a 4 oz can.

I also glued down a couple of old lifting corners from a couple of d rings with 1 coat and that held well.

·
Registered
385 Posts
The knuckle test is what you want, time is only a rough guideline to when the glue is at the tacking-ness of the knuckle test.

I have always been a fan of thinning down the glue with toluene a little bit, and I think NRS even says it’s an option. The One time I tried with accelerant and no thinning, it just got gloppy way to fast, and did a crappy job.
Part of what you are after with using an adhesive, is a thin, even coating on both surfaces, and not having it be like snot bugers, really helps with that!

Not really sure how well fewer coats will work, I used to only apply two coats, back in the day, and granted I wasn’t very good at glue work back then, my patches did have a tendency to fail.

Reactions: agrankin

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
3M 1357 Contact Adhesive no mixing, just a quart of glue. Clean your wear patch and ruff it up with sandpaper, do the same to your boat surface about 1/8 inch larger than your ware patch area. Mix your 3M with toluene on a ratio 1 to 4. Take a paint brush and wipe the ware patch area and boat area with just toluene. Than take your mixture of glue and toluene and put a light even coat of glue on patch and boat, let this coat dry completely, this will create an additional layer to your boat and patch. Than apply another thin layer of glue and toluene mixture to your
boat and patch. You don't have to wait for it to get tacky, just place it on your boat, this way you have more wiggle room, if it is not placed exactly where you want it, work the patch down and let it dry. I have used this method on my boats in the past. Or you can use your 3 coat method, what ever method you feel comfortable with, it is up to you.

·
Registered
763 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Matt man...

My glue did get gloppy pretty much right away, like you described. I did manage to get thin coats on by using a 1.5" brush to spread it around and the d rings seem well bonded.

How much toluene do you use to thin clifton? I imagine you don't want to use too much or risk damaging the boat?

·
Registered
763 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
3M 1357 Contact Adhesive no mixing, just a quart of glue. Clean your wear patch and ruff it up with sandpaper, do the same to your boat surface about 1/8 inch larger than your ware patch area. Mix your 3M with toluene on a ratio 1 to 4. Take a paint brush and wipe the ware patch area and boat area with just toluene. Than take your mixture of glue and toluene and put a light even coat of glue on patch and boat, let this coat dry completely, this will create an additional layer to your boat and patch. Than apply another thin layer of glue and toluene mixture to your
boat and patch. You don't have to wait for it to get tacky, just place it on your boat, this way you have more wiggle room, if it is not placed exactly where you want it, work the patch down and let it dry. I have used this method on my boats in the past. Or you can use your 3 coat method, what ever method you feel comfortable with, it is up to you.
Bumping this thread because I'm about to glue on some wear patch.

I just got around to checking the Googles on this 3M 1357... looks like it will bond just about anything and has an application temperature range of -30 to 150 degrees Celsius! I might have to give this a try given the finicky temperature and humidity requirements of some other boat specific glues.

I'm going to use clifton for these wear patches because I have some lying around, but I'll bump the question again...

For something like this that is air holding or structural, does anyone know if 1 coat would do the job? I really only ask because I don't think I have enough glue to do 2 coats on everything I want to glue.

·
Registered
763 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I just put a couple of pieces of wear patch on with 1 coat as a test. If it doesn't stay put I'll redo it... no real loss.

The patches seemed to grab the same as with 3 coats but durability will be the true test.

This was glued with Clifton, thinned with a little toluene, and with the accelerator added.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts