Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry if this is a re-post... I did a search and didn't find anything.

Apparently DuPont is discontinuing production of Hypalon.

Is another manufacturer going to start making it? I know that it's trademarked by DuPont, but not sure when that runs out. Could mean some big changes in the rafting industry, eh?

Link to anouncement:
Hypalon®

Update as 10/16/2009

Since the announcement on 5/7/2009 to exit from the Hypalon® business, DuPont Performance Elastomers has worked with its customers to assess their Hypalon® material needs to support them through the transition. As a result of this assessment, DPE has determined that the plant will most likely run through the first quarter 2010 in order to safely produce quality material to satisfy customer requests.

·
Registered
93 Posts
There are lots of different Hypalon manufactures out there. As far as I know, there are no raft manufactures that use DuPont Hypalon. I believe every raft manufacturer uses Hypalon made overseas. This should have no effect on the rafting community.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Yeah, this mainly effects the electrical wire insulation industry. I doubt anyone outside of Bill Gates could afford a DuPont Hypalon Hyside.

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
The patents on Hypalon's formulation have long run out. Much like the patents on Gore-Tex. The difference is that DuPont seems to have relented on the Hypalon trademark (or never had it) where as WL Gore still holds the Gore-Tex brand name. Lot's of hypalon will still be made for different industries and applications.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts