Mountain Buzz banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Looks great.
Can actually use the motor handle and sit in the seat or is there not enough room? What size HP and shaft length on the motor

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Looks great.
Can actually use the motor handle and sit in the seat or is there not enough room? What size HP and shaft length on the motor
Yeah it’s not perfect for the full “turning radius” but I’m usually going straight.....Its the 5HP propane Tohatsu outboard which runs amazing! I’m still messing with the seat/NRS motor mount configuration, weight balance while keeping prop thrust in mind. It’s quiet and zero smell. Works great for just cruising around and great for trolling with downriggers. It’s a work in progress so if you have any suggestions I’d be stoked for some feedback! I’ve gotten it fairly dialed in but still more work!

·
Registered
100 Posts
Can't tell from the picture but if you're not already, run a garelick / eez in style motor mount. This will allow you to adjust for load/ speed/ thrust and get the outboard further out of the water when needed. It will also allow enough room to easily steer side to side. I have one on standard NRS motor mount and stern rails and it works great. I use the motor mount on a few different rafts and it's nice not having to adjust the u bolts on the NRS motor mount to get the depth right.

Also, for anyone building something similar, the padded Tempress all weather high back seats combined with quick release swivel mounts is a pretty sweet set up.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Can't tell from the picture but if you're not already, run a garelick / eez in style motor mount. This will allow you to adjust for load/ speed/ thrust and get the outboard further out of the water when needed. It will also allow enough room to easily steer side to side. I have one on standard NRS motor mount and stern rails and it works great. I use the motor mount on a few different rafts and it's nice not having to adjust the u bolts on the NRS motor mount to get the depth right.

Also, for anyone building something similar, the padded Tempress all weather high back seats combined with quick release swivel mounts is a pretty sweet set up.
Great thanks! I’ll check them out. It’s surprising how little information I could find about mounting a outboard to a raft.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Here is a picture of my motor mount for a Hyside 22" dia tube boat. Same motor as you have 20" shaft length. My advise is to get a sturdy adjustable mount and avoid the single shaft type like in the second picture. I found that the torque from the motor was too much for the single shaft type. Easy to adjust to the necessary depth and can be raised for shallow water. Not cheap but worth the money in my opinion.

·
Registered
380 Posts
That type mount struggled with my 60 pound 4 stroke. Gaerlick suggests something sturdier for 4 strokes motors and I agree after my experience.

·
Registered
103 Posts
What is the brand and model that you are currently using and is it the mount in your first photo Would you recommend it with your experience

·
Registered
380 Posts
It's a Gaerlick model 71093. Rated 15 hp four stroke 115 # max. Very pleased with it. Easy to raise and lower and you can lock it in 5 positions or with the hand wheels between the detents. There are some similar knockoffs that may work as well but I have no experience with them. Look around, the cheapest I found on line was around $250. I found that with the other mount when you extended it down and it moves away from the boat it was necessary to lean way out to release the mount catch and then pull the motor up. I found the spring too weak to be of much help raising the motor from that extended position.The 71093 has a stronger spring so the motor almost raises itself but is still easy to lower. It also moves away but is much easier to work. It is heavy but I pick function first.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Good Sounds like the functionality of the mount can be operated from the raft. I will be checking into that. What rivers Section have you used this on.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Several times Grand Canyon below Diamond pushing a stack of boats out to Pearce Ferry. Green River, Utah to North wash. Potash to North wash on the Colorado, several hundred miles total. I row the rapids, I only motor on flat water.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.