Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
I'm right 50% of the time
899 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like to mount a high back raft seat to a 72quart igloo cooler. I want mount it on to some kind of support because the cooler is plastic. I also want to be able to remove the seat so I can use the cooler when I run the boat as a paddle raft. I have looked all over the internet for an item designed with this purpose. Any comments and sugestions would be appreciated.

·
Super Moderator
4,035 Posts
Without knowing more specifics on your current rowing frame setup and how its configured now its kind of tough to envision what you're talking about. For instance, what do you sit on to row now? See the folks at Downriver Equipment - they should be able to help you out on this. Downriver Equipment 303-467-9489

--Andy

·
Registered
169 Posts
I've seen seats mounted on plywood that were set on the cooler and had the loop straps holding the cooler down go over the wood and hold it steady. I think there was some weather stripping or something between the wood and the cooler to prevent slipping.

·
Registered
3,344 Posts
I used to use a flip seat bracket from AAA with a dry box. It would work with a cooler as well. Or the DRE type flip seat. The DRE type would give you the best support without putting weight on your cooler that might cause damage.

·
Registered
4,607 Posts
We use a piece of wood and 4 straps, one at about each corner.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Mountain Buzz mobile app

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
I've used plywood with 2 loop straps. Hopefully you don't need to get into it often. I ended up switching the drybox and cooler so my seat was on the drybox and the cooler was accessible. That is because I cannot be without a frosty cold one for long... You can glue a cheap blue foam sleeping pad (like $7 from wallyworld) on the bottom to distribute weight accross the coolers lid contours. Make the ply wood just barely smaller than the top profile of the lid.

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
oh, funny James. Good one on you.

·
Registered
3,344 Posts
That's what happens when a bunch of river geeks are bored and looking to chat about gear.:D

·
Registered
19 Posts
Below is something I posted about 4 pages deep in some thread that wasn't even relevant to the topic anymore. Hope it helps.

And a quick update - I used this set up for 4 days on the San Juan and it worked perfectly.

Tractor seats: I bought this one, but they also have them with drain holes, different colors, low backs, etc.

The one I bought has a hard plastic shell under and around the back, which is what I drilled these handles into - two under the front and one on the lower back. Easy to drill in and very secure - I wrapped that white hockey tape around the handle before drilling them in for friction with the straps.

If you unstrap the back one, the whole seat will flip over into your middle bay for easy cooler access. It's light, transport-friendly, and very comfortable. The cushioned material may be prone to tears over the long run, but some aquaseal or patching would keep it going.

Because it's a universal tractor seat, it has a ton of drill holes in the bottom to fit different brands (John Deere, etc.) so you can also play around mounting it on an elevated stand or something. The way I have it there's nothing on the bottom of the seat that would damage the top of the cooler.

Attachments

1 - 12 of 12 Posts