Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
834 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey folks,
Screaming Quarter Mile on Clear Creek is going to start taking names this week. It just got into the juicy zone.

I remember rolling twice in Screaming 1/4 Mile at 1300 some number of seasons ago and staring at a swim victim standing under the cliffs on the right side as I went by at 15 mph, wide eyed and out of breath.

If you swim then focus on the fact that you really, really, really should swim to the road side of the river. If someone in your group swims to the cliffs and your team doesn't get them back over quickly then the Fire Department will be there to help you before you know it... :)

See you out there :)

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
agreed, if you do swim here the prefered lines are: right, boof. left, left, left. if you make it around the bend after the diversion it is right, right, right, under the tree and then go hard left. if you see the playpark your almost out.

ps it is a long walk back to the lower put in from past coors, so hit your roll and if not, hey, grab at what ever trees you can hold on to.

·
Registered
745 Posts
LOL, this is retarded. If you swim anywhere get out of the river. Right,left, a rock. Better to be safe then sorry. And yard sale your shit too, give your friends something to Chase.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Obviously Bob has the lines nailed, but I think what Ture is trying to nail home is that if you do not swim to the left the fire dept will be there to "rescue" you.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Great post, I swam the mile last year at 800. Here is my advice, stay in your boat it is so much more fun that way!

·
Registered
834 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Obviously Bob has the lines nailed, but I think what Ture is trying to nail home is that if you do not swim to the left the fire dept will be there to "rescue" you.
Yep. Channel 9 News will be there with the video cameras too. :)

I was being half smart ass and half serious... someone I know had it happen to them. Total pain. What happens is the person in charge of the swiftwater team takes over the rescue, as in telling your team to drop their ropes and stand down... while they block a lane of traffic on highway 6 and set up a river crossing with their raft to give the swimmer a ride back to the road.

If you swim there this week and you panic and forget that I said swim left, and you are standing under the cliff on the right with the Fire Department setting up on the left, my advice is to jump in and swim across to the road and bow to Channel 9 and then start running down the canyon with the Fire Department chasing you to get you to sign their report.

·
Registered
91 Posts
When I swam there last week, I unfortunately swam to the right. Then, my buddy Mike disappeared chasing my gear.

My biggest concern was the "rescue" crew showing up. So, I basically climbed up 100 feet and out of sight until my friend returned.

He threw me a line and in 30 seconds I was "safe", and happy I wasn't "rescued" by the officials.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Yep. Channel 9 News will be there with the video cameras too. :)

I was being half smart ass and half serious... someone I know had it happen to them. Total pain. What happens is the person in charge of the swiftwater team takes over the rescue, as in telling your team to drop their ropes and stand down... while they block a lane of traffic on highway 6 and set up a river crossing with their raft to give the swimmer a ride back to the road.

If you swim there this week and you panic and forget that I said swim left, and you are standing under the cliff on the right with the Fire Department setting up on the left, my advice is to jump in and swim across to the road and bow to Channel 9 and then start running down the canyon with the Fire Department chasing you to get you to sign their report.
Ture, you've done it again. Just sprayed water all over the place. I'd pay good money to see that move. It would make national news. Makes me tempted to go up there just watch the carnage afterwork today.

·
Registered
28 Posts
get out

Please just get out and don't worry what 9news or anyone else thinks. The Gorge yesterday at 5200 opened my eyes to how much more punch these levels have than other "big water" years that I've seen over the last 10 years. We did the Gorge last year at 3700 and the lines were the same but the water right now is so much more powerful.
I know that the veterans have seen much bigger, but its been a while, so be careful.

·
Registered
84 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Anybody down for some afterwork laps on Lower tomorrow?? I can probably be at the diversion dam by 5-5:30 (but it could be closer to 6).

505 three six six 8393

Ricky

·
Registered
93 Posts
Just to add to the entertainment, we took playboats down Lower CC at 1,100 a few days back; got pounded in Elbow Falls, swam, got back in the boat, and me and Syd got pounded (thrown over backwards, sideways, etc.) all the way through Screaming Quarter. I figured that 800 was somehow more or less the same as 1,100 (not true). I'm guessing now that the flow is up to a ridiculous 1,300+, everything's changed again. Of course, bring the Creeker. I wish we would've taken the time to do a little roadside inspection of Screaming Quarter and Elbow--and now that's it's up to who knows what, I think I'd check out more still before running. I've only been boating for 4 years now, so I chalk this up to relative inexperience. The veterans seem to know what they're getting into--for the rest of us, check out the runs before you go--even when it's something you've done a thousand times before. 1,300 ain't 800 is all I can tell you. Be careful out there.

·
Registered
205 Posts
My only addition to Ture's last comment is to slam a booty beer in front of the cameras and then run like hell.

·
Registered
91 Posts
1:55 p.m.-- Off of Hwy 6 at mile marker 262 – report of orange kayak without a person inside. Rescue crews found out that there were three people involved and all got out safely.

However, at 2:30 p.m., crews were called back to MM 264 on an injured kayaker. The owner of the orange kayak tried to retrieve his kayak and got into trouble on the water. His finger got caught in a carabiner and was amputated but was able to get out of the water on his own.

Wow....that sucks big time. sounds like a rough day.

·
Registered
834 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Sorry to hear about the finger. Whoever that was, I hope you are good to go for next season. I bet that hurt like hell. You tried hard to take care of your own problem and that's what I'm talking about.

·
Registered
788 Posts
From what I've heard from the group, it wasn't a 'biner. They were working to unpin a boat, the boat filled with water and started heading downtream, and the slack from the rope amputated the end of the guy's finger.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts