Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I asked Hyside how to do this and here is their response:

Removing logos

1) Remove the air from the tubes and work the wrinkles out of the painted area.

2) Put boat in a highly vented area.

3) You will be using toluene to clean off the paint but you don’t want the toluene to run onto the urethane bottom chafers. You will need prop the edge up and brace it so the toluene pools around the paint.

4) Purchase a large sponge (approx 8”x6”) and soak it with Toluene. Leave it on the logo for approximately 60 seconds. The time of soaking will depend on how well the logo was initially applied.

5) With a putty knife ( 2 inches) that you have rounded the edges on, use it to scrape the paint off the soaked area. You should be able to remove about 80% with the first swipe. Then with a clean towel that has been soaking in toluene, wipe the remaining paint off.
----------------------------

I haven't tried this so I have no idea how effective it is. If I get motivated to try it when the weather is warmer I will post my results here.

Note: Hyside makes their boats from Hypalon and I don't know how this technique would affect PVC or Urethane boats.

·
Registered
517 Posts
that's going to be bad for your raft. Toluol/Tolulene is a solvent that will eat at the hypalon on your boat.

You would be better served to either patch over the logo, or paint the boat with gacoflex (see nrsweb.com)

For PVC/Urethane boats, MEK is the solvent of choice. For any of these inflatables, use the solvent only when preparing to patch. Any use of these solvents breaks down the fabric of your boat.

--B

1 - 2 of 2 Posts