Mountain Buzz banner
21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
426 Posts
Utah does not require a fire extinguisher for outboard motor boats with open construction.
We bring one incase the ranger doesn’t know the rules… which happens often

Canyonlands National Park regulations specify a fire extinguisher even though it is in Utah. Possibly because it is a national park and under federal jurisdiction. Good idea to have one handy in any case.
  • Motorized boats must have valid state registration, decals, placards and a serviceable fire extinguisher. Boats with out-of-state registration are allowed on Utah waters for 60 days per calendar year.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Finally got around to closing this loop. I'm guessing this varies by DMV employee, but here is what's required:

-Manufacturer's certificate of origin showing VIN/HIN if you bought the boat new
-Bill of sale if you bought used, invoice or receipt if you bought new
-Driver's license
-The boat itself with the factory VIN/HIN visible

If you don't have a certificate of origin it's easy enough to call the manufacturer and get one emailed to you. The bill of sale or invoice, as previously mentioned, will dictate the amount of sales tax you're charged. In my case I was charged an extra ~1% sales tax on top of what I paid originally; I'm guessing this is to account for sales tax increase since then but still thought it was weird.

Once all the paperwork was squared away (I didn't actually fill any out myself, it was all done by DMV staff), they come out and inspect your VIN/HIN, then they hand you your stickers and registration and you're done.

Thanks to the folks here who pretty much elucidated the steps above already. Now on to making placards for the bow numbers---I'm a little blown away that to meet Utah regulations my placards will need to be at least 32" long!

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
Ok I am confused. I was trying to register my raft in Montana so I could use an engine on my deso trip in July. They said the paperwork would take 8-10 weeks here. Anyway that’s cause I had to do a break/bond title thing. So I called Bryce station blm and asked if I had any other options? They said ,I do not need registration to run my raft with engine on the river but I need it to drive on Utah roads? I said so if I leave the engine in my truck drive down and put engine on boat in water Iam legal and she said ,legal to use in river but not on Utah roads? I’ll call again as trip nears but I just hate paperwork issues and confrontation etc…anyway she said that they won’t check for any registration there?

·
Registered
44 Posts
Ok I am confused. I was trying to register my raft in Montana so I could use an engine on my deso trip in July. They said the paperwork would take 8-10 weeks here. Anyway that’s cause I had to do a break/bond title thing. So I called Bryce station blm and asked if I had any other options? They said ,I do not need registration to run my raft with engine on the river but I need it to drive on Utah roads? I said so if I leave the engine in my truck drive down and put engine on boat in water Iam legal and she said ,legal to use in river but not on Utah roads? I’ll call again as trip nears but I just hate paperwork issues and confrontation etc…anyway she said that they won’t check for any registration there?
You absolutely need a registration to run a motor on Deso, I have been checked numerous times by the ranger there. She definitely does not know what she's talking about.

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
Hmmm. So here I have to get a break/bond title (says it’s not stolen , has a lien etc) then take that and get registration. 8 -10 weeks. Don’t have the time. Do they check a paper registration or do they just look for number stickers on boat? I’ll call again, get confirmation, get the their name yada and see? On utahs dmv site it says out of state and under 25hp needs no registration too? I dunno, it’s a headache to deal with mdmv they could care less. Iam sure they could get it done in 5 minutes

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
It’s for the raft. I bought it used from a outfitter and only have bill of sale no manufactures certificate or what have you.so yeah Montana wants to know it’s not stolen or has a lien and you just have to wait it out. I emailed the blm office in Brice and I’ll share their response when I get it. The lady said twice ,”I can’t say it’s not legal but can’t say it’s legal but it’s for transport.” As if it’s a motor boat on a trailer going down the road.

·
Registered
202 Posts
The confusion in Utah comes from Title vs Registration. They are two different things but for some reason lots of people assume they are the same thing.
In Utah they do not TITLE boats under 25 hp but all boats with sail or motor power MUST be REGISTERED.
If your watercraft will be in the state for less than 60 days per calendar year and your boat is registered in your state you do not need to have a Utah registration.

If you are planning to take a motor down the river it needs to be registered.
I have been asked numerous times for my registration and bow numbers/sticker while checking in on desolation canyon. Not all rangers enforce this but all have made it clear that registration is required.

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
Yeah we get it but in Montana to get registration you have to do this bond title thing to prove to them it’s not stolen or has a lien or I dunno? That’s if you don’t have the certificate of origin and original bill of sale that is. I bought mine from a outfitters getting rid of old boats so never had a certificate of origin . Never thought it mattered!? I emailed blm office and I emailed aire but I doubt aire will issue some guy a new certificate when he didn’t buy the boat new from them and so the stupid ass rules are stupid ass rules blah blah. I’ll pay the fine if they let me run it but I doubt they’d let you even have it. We where just trying to have a shorter trip but we’ll see. Maybe we’ll make it maybe not. Wouldn’t hurt my feelings to bad to not go to Utah lol

·
Premium Member
958 Posts
Charlie if you want I can help you get the boat registered in Colorado as a temp fix. It doesn’t take long. Or if you know someone else in Colorado they can hook you up. It’s a pretty painless process. Sorry you gotta jump threw hoops.

·
My name isn't Will
497 Posts
You ~should~ be able to get a Manufacturer's Certificate of Origin (MCO) from the manufacturer. You likely have to fill out a form that has your Hull Identification Number (HIN) and a fee. It might take some time because they will have to search old records to find out who the original purchaser was and when it was purchased. Wenonah Canoes charge $30 to provide a replacement MCO.

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
We’ll I thought that since I wasn’t the original purchaser of the raft that Aire would not be willing to. I mean anyone could ask right? Anyway I called and just as easy as asking they re -issued me one. So I’ll go see if this is enough for the dmv. The reason it’s harder here in Montana is the want it titled before registering it. So when you buy a wreck or you part together a car or lost title etc they make you wait to make sure it doesn’t come back as stolen or I dunno what else but that’s how they do it. So now I have the manufactures certificate for of origin and I have the policy ce him check so maybe I can just get it titled and registered? I’ll definitely pm ya if it goes bad but it’s just a silly thing lol

21 - 36 of 36 Posts