Mountain Buzz banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, been putting a motor kit together for a while now and it's finally come to this. Can anyone tell me from experience what the steps are to get Utah registration on my 16' raft? Do I need to take the boat in to a DMV office? Do I need to take the motor? Anything else I should know? My thanks in advance, feel free to shit on me if aLL tHiS iNfOrMaTiOn HaS aLrEaDy bEeN cOvErEd Ad NaUsEuM

·
Registered
426 Posts
Go to the DMV website and fill out the form for a boat registration. You will have to take the boat to the DMV office for a serial number check and pay the fees and taxes. They will issue a hull number. The motor is not required to be registered in your HP range. I made placards that I hang on the bow (both sides) to display the hull numbers. Carry the registration papers with you as well and the required safety equipment. While you are at it take the DNR mussel aware online course that is good for a year in case you are asked for the paperwork. It's required for all watercraft in Utah. If it floats, it's a boat in Utah.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I don't think inflatables need to be registered in Utah unless they've got a motor over 25hp
I see what you're seeing there, and it looks like they're drawing a distinction between registration and titling. Which is confusing. From what I can tell an inflatable with a motor under 25HP is exempt from titling requirements but not from registration?

·
Registered
58 Posts
Regarding "rules and registrations":
"If I would build a wall, I first would ask what I was walling in or walling out."
Something there is that cannot stand freedom, especially in others,
and those people should never be given the awesome Power of The State.

·
Fuck vertical scope
140 Posts
Regarding "rules and registrations":
"If I would build a wall, I first would ask what I was walling in or walling out."
Something there is that cannot stand freedom, especially in others,
and those people should never be given the awesome Power of The State.
Have you suffered a stroke or just have a traumatic head injury?

·
Registered
542 Posts
Go to the DMV website and fill out the form for a boat registration. You will have to take the boat to the DMV office for a serial number check and pay the fees and taxes. They will issue a hull number. The motor is not required to be registered in your HP range. I made placards that I hang on the bow (both sides) to display the hull numbers. Carry the registration papers with you as well and the required safety equipment. While you are at it take the DNR mussel aware online course that is good for a year in case you are asked for the paperwork. It's required for all watercraft in Utah. If it floats, it's a boat in Utah.
I did all of this.
Everything was checked Utah Lake State Park, Cat, Deso, and Westwater.
Running a 5hp.
If it has a motor, it needs to be registered.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I registered my boat a few years ago so I could run a motor on Cat. The only difference with my experience compared to the above is that I did not have to take my boat to the DMV. I brought my original paperwork from Maravia showing it as a 15' inflatable which included the serial number and told them I was going to run a 5hp motor attached to a transom. They took my money and issued me a hull number and registration stickers.

·
Premium Member
958 Posts
For those reading this thread I’d like to add that this process only applies if you are a Utah resident. Reading it I can see how someone would think that if they want to float a Utah run they have to go threw Utah to register.

To clarify:
If you are a Utah resident and you are adding a motor to your boat you MUST register your boat threw Utah.

If you are not a Utah resident you must register your boat threw your home state.

Once your boat is registered You can float your boat in Utah with no issues.

Reactions: 2tomcat2

·
Premium Member
2,260 Posts
For those reading this thread I’d like to add that this process only applies if you are a Utah resident. Reading it I can see how someone would think that if they want to float a Utah run they have to go threw Utah to register.

To clarify:
If you are a Utah resident and you are adding a motor to your boat you MUST register your boat threw Utah.

If you are not a Utah resident you must register your boat threw your home state.

Once your boat is registered You can float your boat in Utah with no issues.
You also need to bring along the necessary motor boat accessories like fire extinguisher, horn, boat tags, paperwork, etc.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Wow, went down to the DMV with boat in tow and it was way more painful than anticipated. They wouldn’t come out and look at it, they wouldn’t accept the serial number as a VIN, they offered to have the police come inspect it, there was talk of it taking 30-90 days to assign a VIN, and on it went. I’m not usually the guy who has a problem at the DMV, but in this case I had to politely walk out. Did you guys have to present a bill of sale or receipt, by the way? I haven’t hung on to that stuff unfortunately.

·
My name isn't Will
497 Posts
Wow, went down to the DMV with boat in tow and it was way more painful than anticipated. They wouldn’t come out and look at it, they wouldn’t accept the serial number as a VIN, they offered to have the police come inspect it, there was talk of it taking 30-90 days to assign a VIN, and on it went. I’m not usually the guy who has a problem at the DMV, but in this case I had to politely walk out. Did you guys have to present a bill of sale or receipt, by the way? I haven’t hung on to that stuff unfortunately.
Boats don't have VINs. They have HINs (hull identification numbers). A part of the HIN are the serial number. Other parts are model year, date of manufacture, and manufacturer. When I built a kayak, I had to apply for an HIN that I had to put in two places on the boat. Your raft has an HIN in two places too. Sorry the person you were dealing with wasn't all there that day.

·
Registered
426 Posts
In my area you make make an appointment with the DMV office. One of the action items on the appointment schedule is a number check. You can also have a law enforcement officer verify the information. Check with your local police department. I had to have a my trailer VIN verified when changing to a Utah registration from another state. As Will stated you aren't getting a VIN just a hull number. The Utah DMV website should have the info you need in the FAQ's. I had no problem getting mine in Washington county.

·
Premium Member
958 Posts
You also need to bring along the necessary motor boat accessories like fire extinguisher, horn, boat tags, paperwork, etc.
YES!! so many people forget! This is huge.

Do you have any friends in Colorado? If you do, have them register it or use their address.

I literally just registered my boat for the season and it was smooth as glass. Didn’t have a title or bill of sale. I do have a title for the trailer, but not the boat. They didn’t ask nor cared. Took the boat to highline state park. Went into the visitor center. Walked out with a parks officer that filled out paperwork, paid and was in my way..sucks Utah has this all tied up with the dmv.

Reactions: 2tomcat2

·
Registered
2 Posts
Titles and registrations are two different processes; this is similar to your car title and registration. In Utah for a raft and motor your size you can register it without paying for a title. You will be following the regs of both Utah State Parks and the Utah DMV, and you will also have to pay the county's fee.

To register:

1. Go to https://tax.utah.gov/forms/current/tc-661.pdf. Print and complete the form. Call your local police department non-emergency phone number and ask if an officer can verify the VIN (which is really an HIN) on a raft. The officer will normally come to the raft's location. If it is a hot day you may consider, having at the ready, a cool unopened bottle of water to offer the officer...the office may not accept it but will appreciate the offer and may be less annoyed that he has to verify the number. Have the raft unrolled, inflated if needed, when the officer arrives so the officer can easily see the HIN. The officer will verify the HIN and sign the form. It is easier to take the form rather than the raft to the DMV.

2. https://tax.utah.gov/forms/current/tc-843. Print and complete this form. Remember to register or title your raft you will pay sales tax on the purchase price, and the DMV will use the bill of sale to determine the sales tax If you received the raft as a gift there will be no sales tax, but you may have to substantiate that it was really gifted to you. Call the DMV to see what/if they want require to verify a gift.

3, Schedule an appointment at the DMV and bring your paperwork (above forms) and payment method.

4. Be prepared to pay Utah Parks fee, DMV fee, county fee, sales tax:

Boating Fees | Utah State Parks
1. State Taxes ($43.50)
The State Tax Portion has you covered by the Utah State Parks Boating Program.

Here is the Program’s State Tax Fees Breakdown:

• $30 – Registration Fee
  • $10 – Aquatic Invasive Species Fee
  • $0.50 – Search and Rescue Fee
  • $3 – Electronic Payment Fee.
  • Total: 43.50
*The remainder of the boat registration fees you pay are allocated to your Local County.

Uniform Statewide Age-based Fee
Vessels less than 15 feet in length
$10 regardless of age​
Uniform Statewide Age-based Fee
Canoe, Jon Boat or Utility Boat
$10 regardless of vessel’s age or length​
Length of VesselUniform Statewide
Age-based Fee
Collapsible Inflatable Vessel, Pontoon or Sailboat, regardless of age
15 feet or more in length but less than 19 feet in length
$15​
19 feet or more in length but less than 23 feet in length
$25​
23 feet or more in length but less than 27 feet in length
$40​
27 feet or more in length but less than 31 feet in length
$75​

5. Prior to launching you will need the required numbers on the side of your raft. I printed mine in the required size (see the Utah Park website for the size/placement and equipment requirement) and stuck them on two boards with clear package tape or contact paper. I tied the boards (port and starboard) to the raft frame, had red and green flash lights for the light requirement, had the Utah Watercraft registration paper and PFDs sitting on the raft, and the ranger gave us the OK to launch. The registration is a State issue so usually the Feds don't care, but I show everything to whoever is there...I paid for it so I may as well show it. Once we are on the river the registration number boards, lights, and anything not need goes in the dry box.

Good luck, and I hope your trip to the DMV and down the river is enjoyable.

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
Just asked montana dmv. You do a home built title (like you built it) . Law enforcement has to sign off on serial number. Then title it, then register it. So not so easy as Colorado but who wants to live in Colorado right ...ba dump cha! (I was born there so..)

·
Registered
202 Posts
Utah does not require a fire extinguisher for outboard motor boats with open construction.
We bring one incase the ranger doesn’t know the rules… which happens often

I think you asked the wrong person at the DMV or you did not have the correct paperwork.With the original bill of sale showing the HIN and sale price/taxes paid you should have been good. If you know a LEO in the area ask them to do a VIN check. They search a National database of VIN/HIN for reported stolen items.
I bought my boat out of state and had not been charged sales tax and had to pay it to register my boat. I did have the sales receipt and had a LEO do the HIN search.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts