Mountain Buzz banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. I have this deck cover but it’s floppy in the middle, heavy and just a pain unless I can find something else to use it for like a table. Any idea on where I could get legs or how to make legs for it?
Bicycle Wheel Automotive tire Tire Bicycle wheel

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
You could go to a local fabricator and see how much they would charge? You could call whitewater worthy and ask him about his? Or you could wing it and try yourself? Aluminum is afoardable enough and you could bolt it in lew of welding or get it all cut and sorted and take to welder? Or buy 2500 dollars worth of gear and blow holes in a ton of stuff till you get it? Seems like there are some kits for legs too? Mines made of steel and bomber but heavy. Cheap though!

·
Registered
181 Posts
Lots of good threads on DIY tables. One easy way is to transplant cheap Walmart folding table legs onto it. My plywood table with Walmart legs has lasted years longer than anticipated and pulls double duty as a work bench around the house.

If needed, can put some rigid pipe lengthwise on center line down the table with pipe hangers for reinforcement.

Edit - might make for good side rail material

·
Registered
5,551 Posts
Thick wall steel is a lot heavier than thinwall conduit or aluminum tubing..but the other table designs use more footage of the thin stuff.
The greatest thing about that thick steel and floor flanges is that you can buy them almost anywhere. Easy to build..easy to replace one if the threads get bunged up.
Oh, and buy (2) x 3/4" x 6' pipe sections and cut them in half. Cheaper than buying four 3' pieces since you don't need the threads on the foot end.

RMR, Hyside, NRS, Sawyer, K2 coolers, Whitewater Worthy Trailers, Frames and soft goods
782 Posts
Flange and pipe setup works until you add sand. There seems to be sand on every river I’ve floated but other opinions may very. Bringing 3 dogs may add to to sand effect but I can’t say for sure. Don’t fight the sand man…

·
Registered
179 Posts
I have a similar hatch cover that I converted to a table. Used U brackets bolted through the platform and pipe conduit legs, had a friend weld cross bars on to them for stability. Then I almost immediately ditched the table setup because it made the cover, that was already kind of heavy, much more heavy. Just didn't like it, but now I have some small drain holes at least...

·
Registered
5,551 Posts
I used Maker Pipe conduit connectors to build legs for mine. Super easy, super light and after 3 year super durable.

@RiverWebb just posted up a table made with maker pipe connectors. Really clean.

·
Definite maybe
1,009 Posts
My table is 3/4 plywood with maker pipe. I have nothing supporting it from sagging. It's 3/4" and no one is standing on it. In the boat it fits the frame so it's supported there.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Working on that very project now. Bought 1” square tube aluminum and joined with kipp angle connectors (steel reinforced)

Ordered SS piano hinges which I’ll river through the poly and into the aluminum.
Also got 1.5x1/4 aluminum bar to stabilize the legs down low.

so this is a no welding solution and since the poly is so heavy keeps it lighter.

Legs for mine will sit in the hatch opening, hopefully doesn’t bend the hinges, but it’s only a 17” span c to c on the crossbars.

the table underneath those homemade legs is from whitewater worthy.

Attachments

·
Registered
30 Posts
I bought a set of adjustable folding table legs about 20 years ago for my diy table. It's basically a banquet table leg but adjustable. They come in narrow widths as well as wide. So make sure the width you buy isn't wider than the tabletop you are using it on. Google "adjustable folding table legs" and you be able to find what you want. I like the adjustable ones, so that it functions well as a kitchen table at standing height for an adult. And because each leg is adjustable it's easy to level your table at camp without having to find rocks to do so. I also like that you just pull them down and you're set up, instead of having to store put your table together to use it at camp. I think I bought them on eBay but can't quite remember in my old age... whatever you choose to do, it will be a hell of a lot cheaper than buying an expensive table from a raft store. If you direct message me with your contact information I'll text you some photos of my table.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts