Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey,

I just registered, couldn't find any useful information on the internet just some raft training offers with a duration of 10 days. Looks like a scam to me, can't believe 10 day training makes you become a raftguide lol

Maybe anyone here can give me some more details about it ?
Any certificates needed?
My experience is close to 0

thanks for any help :p

·
Registered
28 Posts
Depends on where you want to start, If you're starting on the east coast the Lehigh and Lower Yough are good places to start. The training to guide on the Lehigh is 3 days, and I'm not sure about the Yough. If you wanna go big right away check out the Upper Yough or Upper Gauley also the New. There are really no certificates, usually just training through the company. P.S. if it takes you more than 10 intensive days to learn how to guide a raft, maybe you shouldn't be doing it in the first place.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
okay so those trainings for certificates are really a scam :p
cbieh: oh okay, i thought that 10 days is enough to learn how to guide a raft but I think you still lack lots of experience then

what do you think how many seasons of work you need to get a job oversea?

oh an d thanks for the advice badazws6 ;P

·
Kjirsten
1,483 Posts
Different states have different requirements. In general, you will have to be CPR and First Aid certified. The 10 day training is not necessarily a scam- you just have to talk to the companies to find out what the training entails. You will probably have to have a certain number of hours on the river you plan to guide. State parks rangers will look at logged hours and CPR/First Aid certs for commercial guides. As cbieh said, if you need more than ten days, you shouldn't be guiding, however, no amount of training will teach you how to read water- that comes from instinct and experience.

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
In Colorado almost every company that hires new guides does a 7-14 day training that the prospective guides pay for. The cost of these ranges from $250-$1000. Some companies will reimburse some or all of this cost after you guide for that company for one or two seasons.

After the initial training period the company will decide which guides to hire. Then the guide training will continue, often for 2 or 3 additional weeks. Then the guide will be given a check-out run with a guide trainer before starting to run commercial trips on their own.

Of course the length of the training will depend on the difficulty of the river - Class II is a lot easier to guide than Class III+/IV- and rookies will guide across this range depending on the company and location.

In Colorado 50 hours of on water time is required by the State but many companies require 100 hours before a check-out run. An additional 20 hours of classroom training plus First AID and CPR are also required.

The certificate programs aren't necessarily a scam, they may offer good training. What I would look for is a company that offers training for new guides, and that hires the vast majority of the guides that they take into their guide training program. Ask them how many of the people in their training program that wanted jobs, got jobs (also ask about full-time jobs vs. part time jobs). Press for actual numbers like 11 out of 13, which would be a good sign. Some programs will honestly have numbers like 5 out of 27 which is a tough for you as a prospective guide, but great for the company because they make some money and they get to do a 2 week job interview.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I worked on the Lehigh about 2 summers ago. If you're looking to be in-raft back east, I wouldn't try the Lehigh. Pretty much all of the companies have the customers take themselves down, with the guides in kayaks "raft hearding" guests down the river. It's fun, but I very rarely hopped in a raft. I was with Whitewater Challengers, trained for about a day because I was already a whitewater boater, and was working a lot. Training is cheap too, I think I paid $25 to train on the Lehigh (CPR and First Aid Certification offered through the company) and $450 to train in raft out here in CO. Don't get me wrong it's a good time, but if you're looking for more of a challenge I agree with cbieh589, look into guiding on the Gauley.

Here's the link for the company I worked for: http://www.whitewaterchallengers.com/

·
Beginner
2,468 Posts
Do you like whiskey? Do you like middle-aged women, nursing students, and high school girls camping with you and begging for your guide stick? Do you like corn liquor? Do you like whiskey?

Try West Virginia. (Whitewater Rafting in West Virginia) Email them and ask if they are training guides this spring.

Rob will whoop your ass into shape over the course of a summer and he won't let you go hungry. You can guide in WV from late March through late October.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Do you like whiskey? Do you like middle-aged women, nursing students, and high school girls camping with you and begging for your guide stick? Do you like corn liquor? Do you like whiskey?

Try West Virginia. (Whitewater Rafting in West Virginia) Email them and ask if they are training guides this spring.

Rob will whoop your ass into shape over the course of a summer and he won't let you go hungry. You can guide in WV from late March through late October.
there's no possible guy who would answer any of those questions with a no.. sounds like a paradise haha

Thanks for all the replies/advices, sure helps me alot ..
@nobody: sadly kids wont give me money to life, they would just suck it out of me :p

·
Registered
149 Posts
Mostly you will need a substantial drinking tolerance, have an aversion to showering or washing gear, love burritos, pizza, coffee and PBR, have functional alcoholism and be somewhat good at picking up drunk chicks at your local watering hole....

I myself have an amazing gift for all these talents and look where it has gotten me!

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
I all ways looked for high personal skills (how they deal with a variety of different situations and people). Basic skills like CPR/First Aid can be bought and technical skill are only learned by miles and miles on the river. A good open attitude goes a long way as a good guide. Also being able to hold your liquor goes a long way too, and good babby sitting skills are highly recommend. P.S I always paid for everything, never took from the poor because I was there at one point in my life also. Have fun!!!

·
Beginner
2,468 Posts
Mostly you will need a substantial drinking tolerance, have an aversion to showering or washing gear, love burritos, pizza, coffee and PBR, have functional alcoholism and be somewhat good at picking up drunk chicks at your local watering hole....

I myself have an amazing gift for all these talents and look where it has gotten me!
Look at where it's gotten you? You're wearing pant suits in law school! Miss ya Jen...

·
Registered
149 Posts
Oh yeah I forgot to mention you should also have a desire to go to law school (its the thing to do).... so you can play on mountainbuzz instead of studying for your final in 20 hours and cause pant suits are in!

·
Registered
1,907 Posts
Important requirement: you must be able to hoist a 300-lb Texan... who is half-drunk on Lonestar Beer... back into your boat. They have a tendency to fall out in riffles and such...

·
Registered
339 Posts
I too got my start in West By God Virginia and ended up going to law school. The company I trained at and worked for was Rivermen. They are a great company with great guide training (that didn't cost anything). Everybody that made it through guide training got a job there, so I highly recommend them. The thing you have to remember about WV is that you are not going to make hardly any money there. That being said, the boating kicks ass and the scene is very cool.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Complete and utter self-pride about raft guiding is also a required... I wake up every morning and say hey raft guide how you doin? I put it on test.... I get A's.... I tell dudes... I get laid.... I tell my bank.... they give me money! My Lord its an amazing tool!

1 - 20 of 68 Posts