Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2,114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been giving this subject a little thought recently. I tend to strap my creekboat cockpit down, hull up on the roof rack of my car for transport. I do this because (a) it gives me good clearance for driving into a garage, (b) it's a very stable position on my rack, and (c) it's easy to reach over the top and strap it on.

However, I've been beginning to wonder if having the hull baking in the sun while I'm driving around is not so good for the plastic. What are people's opinions on this? Am I exposing the hull to significant sun damage?

If that's not the way to strap it, then how? Hull down is generally considered bad form. I have Thule stackers and find that if I strap it on it's side, hull against stackers, the stackers compress the hull in much the same way as if I had the boat laying hull down on the rack. If I strap it cockpit towards the stackers, I find the boat tends to slide on the rack (maybe I need some pads on the bars) due to the rounded sides on the creekboat.

Anyone with sage advice? Thanks.

·
Registered
449 Posts
I'd say leave it cockpit down. The sun will probably do more immediate damage to your outfitting than the hull. Seems more stable to me cockpit down, and maybe a bit more aerodynamic.

·
Registered
790 Posts
My favorite is strapping my creekboat hull down, with one strap, going through both front and back grabloops - or, on it's side if multiple boats are present. With strap through loops, that biatch 'aint goin' nowhere.

·
Registered
688 Posts
Cockpit down. Aerodynamic, and keeps it from filling with water if it rains. Cockpit up tends to deform the hull significantly. I've never owned stackers, seems unnecessary. I don't do the one-strap thing because it tends to pull my towers together and causes loose boats. As for sun, I keep it in the garage when I can. During the season, they will spend some time baking in the work parking lot. Perhaps some 303 protectant... but would make it slippery.

-d

·
Registered
84 Posts
Hull down if you have a flat planing hull because it will not deform the boat.
Hull up if you have a displacement hull because you don't want to start creating an oil-can on the rounded hull.
-Chris

·
Registered
2,085 Posts
Cockpit Down.

·
Registered
232 Posts
For one or two boats... I put my them on my car like I want them to go down the river. Forward and right side-up. Call me superstitious.

That is the only time my cockpit sees the light of day anyway. I don't yard on the straps, just make them snug. A couple of good tugs and we are off. Two straps for each boat one for the front one for the back. 9 foot NRS straps with bumpers for single boats.

For 4 boats I have a stacker. I put the hull against the stacker, then cockpit to cockpit (usually the second or outer boat has bow point to rear of car). Starting above the boat, the 15 foot strap will wrap around the inner boat (and through a grab loop) then around the stacker pole at the base, put the second boat on, go completely around the second boat (again feed through a grab loop) and back down to the base of the rack. Take end of the strap around the outside of your roof clamp (so the strap doesn't slide inwards) and cinch it all down. If you do it right you should have about 6 inches of the 15 strap left to tie off.

Never done more than 4 boats at a time.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Cockpit down, one or 2 straps depending how many I have on hand. Through at least one handle on the boat.

·
Registered
509 Posts
I always have issues with the stackers with more than one boat. The strap always slides off. Good method Rio, I'll have to try that.

I prefer cockpit down but am always worried about putting too much pressure on the rim, which seem more prone to crack than other parts of the boat.

Once you get four boats, more is easy; just put them on top. Lots of places to tie off then.

·
Renaissance *******
1,288 Posts
Are yall crazy...Right side up and forward facing!!! Dont you know If it rides on your rig upside down or backward it thinks it is supposed to float that way and you will end up running drops backward and upside down. SAFETY FIRST!!!

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
My favorite is strapping my creekboat hull down, with one strap, going through both front and back grabloops - or, on it's side if multiple boats are present. With strap through loops, that biatch 'aint goin' nowhere.
Had a rack come loose with the 1-strap technique and a bumpy road. Lame because I didn't have the key to get in there to tighten the rack back down.
2 straps, always.

For more than two boats on stackers, make the straps "U" around the stacker pole and cross the rack, this keeps the boats from sliding off and keeps them snug. Go 5 boats without even thinking about it that way. More if you work vertically.

·
Registered
516 Posts
Hey tecno boys just make sure it's still there when you get to the put in!!!!! Ifadent in your hull is going to be the measure of your success you're using it as an excuse.
Yak1

·
Registered
377 Posts
I strap my playboat cockpit down since the bow and stern do not hit the top of my 4runner that way and the hull does not oilcan. I strap my creeker cockpit up since the added length and rocker cause the bow and stern to ride on the roof of my car when upside down. I don't worry about the creeker plastic degrading over the long haul since they break every year anyway! One strap through safety points or grab loops works fine. I have a steel basket between the rails so they cannot compress and result in loose straps

·
Registered
351 Posts
Most playboats these days could just be hung from the rear view mirror. But the creekboat IS a different story, isn't it. There would be several ways to protect the boat from the sun. One would be put it in the garage. - Only drive with it on the roof at night. - Apply a good strong sun screen designrd specifically for poly-ethylene ('Sport' or waterproof version), - and of coarse my grandmas favorite- the stuff she covered her couches with. No more need to worry about spilling mustard while eating hotdogs in your boat. As for straps, avoid them all together. They just make the boat chaff anyway. Epoxy will work ok, though not too well suited for poly-ethylene. - A few double sided suction cups will do fine, - but I prefer tape. Upside right, upside down, on the side... all of these are fine options. I would go with one of these if I were you.

You could get some pipe insulation at walmart to help keep from sliding on your rack. (Though I like the rubbery shelf liners)

·
Registered
159 Posts
Just man up and get a pickup truck and not worry about it.

Straps causing oil canning.....lmao:roll: I have never seen anyone strapping the middle of their boat.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Just man up and get a pickup truck and not worry about it.

Straps causing oil canning.....lmao:roll: I have never seen anyone strapping the middle of their boat.
STC, I've never seen a study on the cause of oilcanning (sarcasm). I have seen dents in the sides and bottoms of boats tightly strapped to the crossbars. I think any pressure exerted on a hull over time, maybe with added heat from the sun could stretch the plastic (kind of like braces moving teeth). When the hull is then bottom down in the water, the upward force on the hull might dent it upward in the least curved place, right in the center of the boat. I feel the ideal carrying position for us pussies not owning a truck is bottom up.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Go ******* style dude, roll down the back windows and shove it through. No straps required and great sun protection for most of the boat. Plus it looks better to see a kayak sticking out both windows than all strapped down all perfect and everything which is very typical these days.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Go ******* style dude, roll down the back windows and shove it through. No straps required and great sun protection for most of the boat. Plus it looks better to see a kayak sticking out both windows than all strapped down all perfect and everything which is very typical these days.
I like the ******* method and use it when transporting just myself. I've driven eight boats and boaters on Westwater shuttles which matches or trumps most truck options. I would like a truck for the dirtbike though!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts