Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I started paddling 2 summers ago and have completely fallen in love with it. I play boat in the pool all winter and get on a river as soon as there is enough water in the spring. The only problem is that I am 52 years old. Is there a future for me. Are there any older paddlers out there that can give me something to look forward to.
Thanks a ton in advance!:confused:

·
Registered
501 Posts
It's about the journey, not the destination

No ofense, but you post a seemingly silly question. I mean, you say you just fell in love with it but sound like you wonder if you already should give it up. What's the deal? Are you afraid it is too good for you or you not deserving enough? Seriously! Unless your body is injured, so to not allow continuing, then why ask. Why not just keep enjoying it. Age doesn't matter. Lets hope we can still paddle at least III and IV when we're 80. There are plenty of older boaters these days. Some of us started long ago and are still going strong. Others seem to just be getting into it. It's all good. Kayaking can bring you more happiness than almost any sport ... if you love it. It's all about enjoying it. See where it takes you. Keep the faith and leave no trace.

Cheers!

·
Registered
53 Posts
I started paddling 2 summers ago and have completely fallen in love with it. I play boat in the pool all winter and get on a river as soon as there is enough water in the spring. The only problem is that I am 52 years old. Is there a future for me. Are there any older paddlers out there that can give me something to look forward to.
Last summer I paddled the FIBARK race with a paddler who was 71 and I think he had more fun than anyone else on the river. So, in answer to your question, yes, there is a future for you.

As Ken said, it's all about enjoying it. As long as your having fun, don't worry about it. Once you stop having fun, then it's time to put up a post.:)

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
hell yeah. get after it. "Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing--absolute nothing--half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats. Simply messing,' he went on dreamily: `messing--about--in--boats; messing----'"

·
Registered
834 Posts
I started paddling 2 summers ago and have completely fallen in love with it. I play boat in the pool all winter and get on a river as soon as there is enough water in the spring. The only problem is that I am 52 years old. ...
Starting out at 50 isn't a problem. You have a huge advantage over every other 50 year old kayaker out there: you are fresh! Your shoulders are not a blown out mess of torn thingies, tweaks, and scar tissue, unlike just about every other 50 year old kayaker out there.

Another advantage of starting late: you are crafty, wise, and afraid of stuff that can kill you and that will serve you well on the river.

·
Registered
12 Posts
There's no such thing as too old

HI Brenda,

I recently moved to Colorado from California. Back in California your question would seem rather silly, there are quite a few folks much older than you who paddle. It's common so I wouldn't let that bother you.

See you on the river,
Daniel

·
Registered
420 Posts
I'm a youngin' been rafting since 2000, and only have 1 season of kayaking so far, but the best saying that I heard was by an older paddler on one of Jackson Kayaks promotional dvds;

"You don't stop kayaking when you get old; You get old when you stop kayaking!"

·
Registered
482 Posts
There is a beach on lake powell where us old boaters come to rest. The fish will nibble at our toes. & we'll save a boatload of money on a funeral.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I understand the question. I started when I was 39 and asked the same question. I surfed for years when I was younger, got a job, got away from the sport, got fat and out of shape (made a lot of money though), suffered a huge loss in my life, then got handed a paddle. Am crazy into kayaking for 4+ years now (it's therapy for me for sure), got back in great shape at 43 3/4 (!), and asked the same question. I will paddle for the rest of my life. Check out this Pic (it's not me but it's an idea of what's possible!:

Entries for Grayling-to-Oscoda canoe marathon hit all-time high - Bay City Times - MLive.com

Just read the story about Amazn' Al and look at the old coot (bet he could kick my tail).

Live strong.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Brenda,

I'm 55, have kayaked for 25, and hope to get another 25 out of this body. Kayaking with thoughtfulness is great for older bodies. I don't know of any other non-motorized way (outside of dogsledding) that can get you into the wilderness with less effort and with a high degree of comfort. It's amazing really. Just learn which kayakers in your group you should follow and which you should steer clear of:)

·
Registered
4,607 Posts
If, in a couple of years, you are paralyzed in a car accident, what do you think you'll wish your decision was? It sounds like you just need a confidence boost. Maybe that means some like-aged folks to boat with, or maybe it means some younger folks to rejuvenate you. You're not out of options yet, so Hit the water!

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Mike...you are so right about thinking who you should paddle with. I learn't to roll before I ever went on a river and have been able to roll in just about anything, until I paddled with "a new friend:twisted:" who took me down a section of river that he assured me had nothing dangerous - and I paddled right into a keeper hole and took a nasty swim. My own fault;) I should have not taken someones word for it and scouted first. It put a bit of a damper on the rest of the season for me. I'm looking forward to better decisions this year.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Brenda,

I think you should talk to a guy on this site that goes by mtn guy xc. He is about 50 years old and he is someone that us paddlers on the Western Slope work at keeping up with. I only hope to be in the shape that he is when I am his age. Age is only important if you are wine or cheese!! Don't second guess.

Bill

·
Premium Member
3,408 Posts
ScottW and I paddle with the same 71 year old and he is probably in better shape than I am. Starting later in life just means that you dont follow 21 yr old ex-marines (you know who you are) into stuff that "looks fine" and then again maybe you do but get out there and enjoy it.

·
Registered
213 Posts
When you get too old take up sea kayaking or canoeing on flat rivers. Ill be paddling Lab when Im close to 70, lol

·
Registered
2,085 Posts
You're never too old to rock'n'roll if you're too young to die.-Tull

·
Spits Hot Fire
978 Posts
PAGING MNPADDLER! He still gets after it.

^^^you really do have to speak up for him though.

·
Registered
25 Posts
When you get too old take up sea kayaking or canoeing on flat rivers. Ill be paddling Lab when Im close to 70, lol
Um, dude, if your ever in Florida look me up and I'll take you sea kayaking. Letmesee...paddling on the Atlantic Ocean with 4-5 rolling swells, beach out of site, a shark or 2 passing to take a sniff---the BIG WIDE OCEAN IN A LITTLE BOAT...sea yaking is not for the faint of heart either! Sea Kayaking or canoeing (snort, snort).

But I get your sentiment. Die with a paddle in your hand. Same here.

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
Hi Brenda,

I started boating at 46 and now I'm 58. I'm damn glad to have found paddling. I blew out a knee in my 30's and lost access to the sports I grew up loving. Now I've got paddling, and the passion I have for it and the folks I hang with cuz of it make a huge difference in my life. I hope to keep getting out in one form or another until... I can't. :)
I can't paddle at the level I once did and I often paddle with young studs and studdettes that are much better than me. The trick is to really get to know yourself. The point is to have fun, though I'm an adrenaline junky too, but always be willing to scout and/or walk and don't put yourself in a position where yer paddling with people that don't support you doing that. Find a good group, a club can be a good way to expand paddling connections, that's paddling stuff yer comfortable with. Push when you feel it, walk or run something different when you feel that.

But if you've got the fever, the passion, then I say stoke it, feed it. How often do we get to do/love something so much that's so good for us? Hope you have a great season. I know I'm really looking forward to mine.

Regards,

Phil

1 - 20 of 33 Posts