Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am doing the cooler within the cooler technique for a freezer in my 150 qt cooler....I have a Styrofoam cooler that takes up about one third maybe more of my cooler... I'm launching on a main salmon and it should he pushing 90 to 100 for the next week... I have never bought dry ice before... how much do I need??? Packing techniques? ??? I launch on monday have to buy dry ice tomorrow. ... any info helps...

·
Premium Member
780 Posts
3-4 pieces (they vary in size) should do it. Handle with gloves, best to put in a paper bag or a "sleeve" to prevent contact with other items, especially produce. Wet burlap or heavy cotton material (rug, etc) on top of chest plus white or reflective ice chest cover helps. Open as little as possible and move items, drain water, etc. in the relative cool of the AM or PM. Have a great trip!

·
Registered
79 Posts
My local g-store sells dry ice by the pound. My experience is that you go through about 5 lbs of dry ice per day in hot temps. If you want ice cream on day 3, take 15 lbs of dry ice. A styrofoam cooler inside your regular cooler is overkill. Ditch the foam Cooler for more space, just don't let the dry ice come in direct contact with the cooler wall or floor. I use cardboard to separate the dri ice & cooler if I need to put the dry ice against the cooler wall. I try to keep the dry ice off of the bottom, if water starts sloshing around, the dry ice will go super fast.

·
Old Guy in a PFD
1,107 Posts
You should be able to get dry ice in 2" thick slabs.
Wrap in newspaper
Stick in 1 gallon zip locks; make sure all the air is out of the bag
Keep away from produce.
You don't need the internal Styrofoam cooler, just don't open the cooler any more than you have to; once a day at most.

4-5 slabs should do it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts