• Number of Boats Broken

Votes: 7 58.3%
  • Number of KIA's

Votes: 5 41.7%
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
682 Posts
I broke my Salto, but I don't think it was so much the mank as some German engineer who decided it would be a good idea to have two different colors of plastic come together at a seam.

There was no pin or swim or anything and I don't even know what hit did it. It just started filling up with water soon after No Fun Falls and there's a nice clean split right along that seam. :???:

·
Registered
843 Posts
one broken jefe on wednesday, nothing on thursday ,one broken salto on friday, one broken rocker on friday, one broken creeker on friday. Not sure about saturday or today. I'm at work (wish I was on Bear!). This is what I know.

Kent

·
Registered
156 Posts
had 16 cracks in my huck from bear, turkey & west fork last year!!
How many of those were self-inflicted?

Someone @ the bear take-out asked if Turkey was "up," and I replied there are those of us who never think it is "up," which I guess goes to the Obi Wan Kenobi quotation about how "many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our point of view."

Psyched to paddle w/ you again
-C

·
Registered
2,085 Posts
Turkey was "up" on Thursday and looking like it would hold for at least a couple more days. Felt like 90ish. Don't know if it's still going or not. There's a log across the river that's pretty hard to see until it's almost too late. It's a little past halfway (two thirds to three quarters of the way down maybe?). Manky as hell and fairly committing due to the fact that the willows and mini-gorges tend to eliminate eddies and escape routes. Regardless of what Mark and Kaleb say :D I'd call it class V. It felt like a solid step up from Bear to me, maybe a little harder than West Fork because of the willows. The gradient is insane in there! Does anyone know what it is? Felt like over 300 to me. The big drops are sweet but the stuff in between is a mankfest.

COUNT

·
Registered
275 Posts
Yea add another one to the total because I just broke my boat on it today. I think I got the hole in mine on some re bar, because I didn't hit anything that hard at all and then the next thing I know my boat was filling with water.

·
I kayak DH.
794 Posts
Turkey was "up" on Thursday and looking like it would hold for at least a couple more days. Felt like 90ish. Don't know if it's still going or not. There's a log across the river that's pretty hard to see until it's almost too late. It's a little past halfway (two thirds to three quarters of the way down maybe?). Manky as hell and fairly committing due to the fact that the willows and mini-gorges tend to eliminate eddies and escape routes. Regardless of what Mark and Kaleb say :D I'd call it class V. It felt like a solid step up from Bear to me, maybe a little harder than West Fork because of the willows. The gradient is insane in there! Does anyone know what it is? Felt like over 300 to me. The big drops are sweet but the stuff in between is a mankfest.

COUNT
that IV rating was all mark, who never ran it, it's V- bare minimum.

I can't believe you actually ran it, I thought that level of stupidity was more rare!!
btw, you need to get back in W. fork when it actually has water, you'll change your opinion about which is harder!

·
I kayak DH.
794 Posts
Yea add another one to the total because I just broke my boat on it today. I think I got the hole in mine on some re bar, because I didn't hit anything that hard at all and then the next thing I know my boat was filling with water.
where are you thinking you ran across rebar? I've seen it at VERY low water & the only one I can think of is the marker we used to use for where to hit the dam (till some do-gooder bent it over & made the drop harder!!)

·
Registered
5 Posts
I saw rebar in a few places... But everthing that I say was bent over. I don't know if it could still cut a boat. But After seeing what the rocks do to flesh, I have no problem thinking that one of them could cut a boat.

·
Registered
2,085 Posts
I can't believe you actually ran it, I thought that level of stupidity was more rare!!
btw, you need to get back in W. fork when it actually has water, you'll change your opinion about which is harder!
For sure. Definitely need to get back on West Fork and do some laps.

Stupid? Yeah, I guess so, but we were jonesin'. :D

You put runs up on the EF and expect people not to run them? Especially with some sweet pics on a run close to the FR. I'm guessing that was Mark too, right?:D

We need to get back on the river, Kaleb. I've had a great time every time we've paddled.

SYOTR,
Dum and Dummer
(Dummer's the one who followed me in; he doesn't post much, so I typically take the liberty of doing so for him)

·
Registered
207 Posts
one broken jefe on wednesday, nothing on thursday ,one broken salto on friday, one broken rocker on friday, one broken creeker on friday. Not sure about saturday or today. I'm at work (wish I was on Bear!). This is what I know.

Kent
Damn, that's some carnage. Was that your Jefe Kent? Under the front of the seat right?

·
Registered
688 Posts
Broken Rocker? I saw some caved in noses after some ghost rides, but didn't know one broke. Who's got the details?
-d

·
Registered
746 Posts
Maybe harder than west fork? Are you kidding? You need to paddle runs with water in them i'd have to say. Turkey is not a kayak run, it's a high water mtn bike run.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts