Mountain Buzz banner

how low is low water on the Ark.

Tags
ark
3K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  benpetri 
#1 ·

How low does it have to be for an open boater not to have much fun on the Ark? Plan on coming up last weekend of Aug. to do Narrows and Browns Canyon and not sure if there will be enough water for it to be fun. Any advice would be appricated.
Thank you!
Larry

#2 ·
How low can you go?

We've done low-water squirting on Brown's down to 500-600 level. It's mightly low until you reach the canyon, but then the river narrows a bit and the channel gets deeper. It's not super fun and it gets more picky-technical, but it's still wet. Keep your eyes open for the deep channels. I'd definitely recommend the Ruby Mountain put-in for reduced damage to the hull, since it knocks off a fair distance of low-water torture :evil: in the shallows.

Sorry. I have no low-water advice for Numbers.

#3 ·
At that time of year you are looking at flows from 250-450 CFS. I would recomend that you avoid the narrows (AKA the shallows) then. They are not fun at those flows. You should consider doing the numbers. In late august they are class III, and should be okay for an open boat. Browns is alos runnable at those flows with a few tight spots and a couple of eddy lines.
IOP

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.