Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just out of curiosity... How long do you normally hold on to your creekboat? I feel that every year greater and better stuff comes out and I feel the need to sell my one year old boat in exchange for the newest boat... I know boats are made to last but surely I can't be the only one...

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Till it breaks or the bottom wears too thin! I usually get 2 to 3 years. Don't get sucked into the hype. Just cuz its newer don't make it better.

·
Registered
2,114 Posts
Boats are definitely not made to last. I usually get 1 - 1.5 seasons, sometimes less, never more on a boat before it cracks. Most creekboaters I know get about the same unless they have a Prijon. So if you're always lusting after the newest thing, there's not much of a commitment to what you buy in my opinion. In fact some people figure the cheapest formula is to use a boat for a season, sell it before it cracks and buy another new one. It's not a bad idea.

·
Super Moderator
4,836 Posts
I tend to get 3-4 seasons out of Pyranha boats. I'm not running class V, but I do put them through quite a bit of off season abuse...

There is no reason to feel the need to get new technology every season. Sure, there were probably some improvements made to the design, but all you have to do is watch some videos of pros running stouts to remind yourself its more about the paddler than the gear.

·
Registered
820 Posts
If you are creeking in your creek boat, it is going to break before it becomes obsolete. If you don't use your creek boat for Class V, you could get 5 or more years out of it. I usually get a year or a bit more out of a boat. If you live in the front range, it might be less. If your name is Ian Foley, two weeks tops.

·
Registered
2,440 Posts
Mank creeking ruins boats much faster...you don't 't need a new boat every year unless you are a top competitive boater or keep breaking them...if you are a 3-4 hack a boat could last 10 years or more if you don',t mind outdated outfitting...I have a Prijon boat from the 90's that still works fine,the outfitting sucks but plastic is bomber....my Necky Blunt is 10 years old ,at least,and very scratched up and has oil canning but no cracks after maybe 200 3/4 runs(plus a previous owners use) and being stored outdoors...my 20 year old Aire Lynx has been abused and only half ass cared for with at least 300 runs ,many on front range mank IV and still good to go..ditto on the original Force Xl...quite a few patches but totally usable

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
Creek boat durability is a function of water level, rock sharpness, difficulty of paddling, and skill.

My stats hovered around 41 days per creek boat, which coincidentally happened to be the exact time low water mank season hits.

Just got two seasons out of a karma, and that's my longest lasting creek boat to date.

For the record, buying new creek boats is more costly than getting a good warranty and learning to plastic weld.

·
Registered
29 Posts
it's not going to be cheap, and I don't even know if they plan on selling it in the States, but Spade Kayaks' (they're new) Ace of Spades will be blow-molded. So far, all the testers rave about what an awesome boat it is.
Now most of the testers are friends of the maker, but that doesn't mean it ain't worth checking out -- SPADE KAYAKS

·
GoBro
1,493 Posts
The frequency, intensity and sharpness of rock impacts is the biggest factor in durability. Secondary to that is UV exposure. A shed kept boat paddling a deep water run will last longer than you. If you slam sharp rocks regularly your boats will last a lot less.

·
Super Moderator
4,836 Posts
The frequency, intensity and sharpness of rock impacts is the biggest factor in durability. Secondary to that is UV exposure. A shed kept boat paddling a deep water run will last longer than you. If you slam sharp rocks regularly your boats will last a lot less.
That's the truth. I boat ridiculous low flows and boof the shit out of my boats, but it still takes several seasons to wear them out because its primarily on smooth granite. If my backyard run was full of blast rock I bet I could easily destroy a kayak in 1 season...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts