Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The solicitude of the desert and river is calling, but I can't go till after Thanksgiving... How late in the year can you/have you run Ruby? Any other cool winter floats in the CO/UT area?

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Mooner

I've done full moon trips before. Nothing you can't run at night. Take off as late as you want.

·
Kjirsten
1,483 Posts
I've done Ruby and Cataract at Thanksgiving, the Goosenecks on the San Juan over Christmas and the Upper San Juan in January. Just watch the weather and get beta about ice dams before making plans, but these sections are less likely to freeze than some others.

·
Super Moderator
4,836 Posts
I have canoed Ruby/HT the first weekend in November. We were in a 14' aluminum lake canoe and it was cold as shit....

·
Registered
457 Posts
I've done ruby the second weekend of November. I had to put my 5 gal water jugs in the river so they wouldn't freeze over night. Don't camp at rattlesnake no sunshine. Not many rafters out but a bunch of duck hunters. It was a solo trip and it really is amazing being on the river with no one talking. I heard and saw a lot of things I wouldn't have in a large group.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Ive been able to get down ruby every month of the year. But you have to check on freezing conditions. Sometimes it freezes over in December and January and sometimes it doesn't.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts