Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did Westwater at 4500 cfs and it was pretty easy. I'm a class IV+ kayker.

I want to take a friend on Westwater in a ducky in a few weeks when I expect the water will be 6000-8000 cfs. The friend is competent in a ducky, but not an expert. He can steer it fine and keep it straight in the big chop. He should have no trouble making the move at Skull assuming the upper lateral wave isn't enourmous.

How much trouble can he get into at about 7000 cfs? How tough is Funnel Falls, Sock-It-To-Me Rapid, and Last Chance Rapid? Will the eddy be big enough for recovery after those drops?

Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
2,841 Posts
As long as he is a competant swimmer he should be fine. Definately dress him appropriately. I did a trip that had two inexperienced guys in a tandem at 10K. the lateral at skull made for a long cold swim, but they avoided hole and the room. It would be wise to suround them with some decent safety...

·
Premium Member
1,890 Posts
I agree with Dave- he should be okay, although you should keep an eye out for the river left eddy directly below Sock It To Me. The recirculation there is pretty stout, it's backed up by a large boulder, and it can be tough to paddle a swimmer out of there. Just a heads up - 7000 is big but pretty forgiving.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts