Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
572 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, dvor.com had the CRKT Bear Claw knives for $23 and I picked up a few to fasten to our PFDs(and have a spare). I have a Patagonia PFD w/ the asymmetrical zipper. I don't recall the model. The lash tab is in a weird location and I was planning on fasten the sheath to the left shoulder strap. The knife is really secure in the sheath. I will need to really secure the sheath to the strap to pull the knife out if need be. A velcro strap around/thru the sheath doesn't seem like the way to go and sewing it on could be an issue w/ certain LEO types. What to do?

Any suggestions are welcome.

Tom

·
Registered
3,344 Posts
Luckily my lash tab is on the left upper chest area. I use the Velcro strap through & around the sheath method with no problems. My Bearclaw has never come out by accident, but doesn't require a huge amount of pull to get it out. Putting it on a shoulder strap might be more of a challenge to get it tight enough. I remember an add on lash tab that you could attach to the shoulder strap with a Velcro strap, but I haven't seen one in awhile. Can you sew a lash tab onto the PFD?

·
Registered
572 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Weell....I'm a little lacking in the sewing dept. Give me a carbide tipped blade on just about any power tool and I got it covered, but I can't see how one could sew a lash tab onto an existing PFD. At least as HD as it would need to be.

·
GoBro
1,493 Posts
Don't sew anything to onto you're PFD. It invalidates the coast guard cert and is it will become ineligible for permitted trips.

I use an elastic hair tie girth hitched. Easily breaks in a single purposeful motion, but keeps the knife from falling out under normal situations. Had it dangle when climbing back into rafts, but works great in a kayak.

·
Registered
449 Posts
I've had good luck using heavy-duty zip ties to secure my Bear Claw sheath to my PFD. I don't use anything to help keep the knife in the sheath...

·
Jared
733 Posts
A good deal on a knife is nice, but I wouldn't try to make it work if you can't easily fasten it to your PFD without mods to your PFD. I bought a knife that fit easily to my PFD, it was a good fit. The design of the sheath fits my PFD, and positions my knife with my PFD's design well. I'd recommend getting a knife that does the same.

·
Registered
572 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks all. It's not the knife. The Bear Claw is a pretty compact knife that seems to be pretty secure in the HD plastic sheath. I've seen post on MB about other brands of knives falling out of the sheath. Don't think it's much of a problem with this one.

The lash tab is a little too low on the PFD and my left hand on the oar hit the larger dive knife I used before. I may try putting the BC on there and see how it works. I've never planned on modifying the PFD for the obvious reasons. Fastening it to the shoulder strap would be the optimum location IMO.

·
Registered
3,344 Posts
Thanks all. It's not the knife. The Bear Claw is a pretty compact knife that seems to be pretty secure in the HD plastic sheath. I've seen post on MB about other brands of knives falling out of the sheath. Don't think it's much of a problem with this one.

The lash tab is a little too low on the PFD and my left hand on the oar hit the larger dive knife I used before. I may try putting the BC on there and see how it works. I've never planned on modifying the PFD for the obvious reasons. Fastening it to the shoulder strap would be the optimum location IMO.
How happy are you with your PFD? Is it older, and maybe in need of replacement soon? I know what you mean about lash tabs in weird locations. Makes it hard to secure your knife without it being in the way. I love the Bear Claw knife. The finger hole is very handy and the knife does stay put in the sheath quite well. I'd say, try the lash tab, and if it doesn't feel right then zip tie to the shoulder strap to see if it's too loose there. Otherwise, you kind of have to either live with it or get a new PFD ? Maybe a late Christmas present to yourself?

·
Registered
986 Posts
I love the bear claw for a rescue knife. That said I had to make modifications to help it stay in place like drew said zip ties are easy and work well or you can get creative to keep the sheath attached. I have lost 2 bear claws out of the sheath, one running a 40 foot waterfall and another climbing around to scout and caught it on a rock the right way and into the river it fell. I now run a stretchy cord through the finger hole then stretch it up over the top of the sheath, this way you put down then up to get the leash off and the knife is functional.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Is there anything wrong with keeping the knife in a zippered PFD pocket if you have one?Thats how I keep mine clipped in there on one of those plastic elastic coils which will extend about 4-5', long enough to cut anything on the water.

·
Registered
384 Posts
I have an NRS Copilot knife with the shieth afixed by 3 heavy-duty zip ties to the lapel of my Green Jkt. Works like a charm.

·
Registered
2,012 Posts
Not long after I got it, my first Bear Claw is somewhere in the Ocoee River TN after a nice window shade ride that finally spit me out up right but took the knife out of it's sheath.

I ended up with one of those little web key chain dealies with hooks on both ends and a quick side release in the middle. clip one clip to the sheath the other to the end of the knife handle hole and there you are.

I use some velco strips with a ring on one end, maybe 6 inches long. Thread the strip around the PFD setup and push down the end of the velco and end of job. Not sure where I got them but some outdoor retailer.

This setup has worked for me for a long time, no issues and moves from PFD to PFD no sewing or whatever.

·
Registered
572 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
How happy are you with your PFD? Is it older, and maybe in need of replacement soon?
I like it a lot. Only 4-5 years old. I take good care of it. Patagonia/Lotus doesn't make PFDs anymore, so I won't be replacing it anytime soon. I find the center mesh pocket handy to temporarily hold my beer can if I need both hands free. :)

I've gotta plan now and will definitely fasten it to the shoulder strap. I've always carried a folding river knife with a lanyard loop for the past 30 years and haven't been in a situation that I really needed it, but it's winter and I'm puttering w/ the gear. I've been meaning to do this for a while. I'll tie a loop of 3mm stretch cord to it to slip over the sheath end to hold it in place to avoid losing it like tj did. At $23 each, it kind of made sense to get a spare in case I do lose it. I do wish they made one a little bit bigger though.

·
Registered
447 Posts
PFD with a knife /strobe lash tab, the piece of plastic on the left side of the pfd, right in picture, is a built in knife attachment point. This is great for attaching a river knife.

·
Registered
3,344 Posts
I like it a lot. Only 4-5 years old. I take good care of it. Patagonia/Lotus doesn't make PFDs anymore, so I won't be replacing it anytime soon. I find the center mesh pocket handy to temporarily hold my beer can if I need both hands free. :)

I've gotta plan now and will definitely fasten it to the shoulder strap. I've always carried a folding river knife with a lanyard loop for the past 30 years and haven't been in a situation that I really needed it, but it's winter and I'm puttering w/ the gear. I've been meaning to do this for a while. I'll tie a loop of 3mm stretch cord to it to slip over the sheath end to hold it in place to avoid losing it like tj did. At $23 each, it kind of made sense to get a spare in case I do lose it. I do wish they made one a little bit bigger though.
Sounds good. Hard to find a good PFD that you like sometimes, so best to make the knife work. I found a good "leash" for my Bear Claw at the local fly fishing shop. It's for attaching your net to your fishing vest. Stretchy, but not too long, and has metal clips at both ends instead of plastic. I bought a couple and use the other one as a leash for my waterproof camera when it's attached to my raft for "boat cam" filming.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Right here, although I typically run a Velcro strap thru the handle and the lower lash tab.

The pocket on the right contains a 'biner attached to 8 feet of prussic cord, which is used as a ladder to haul my lard-ass back in the boat or right it if the load is light enough.

·
Registered
2,012 Posts
Yup, that's me.

Lived in Park City for a while and sure do miss that country!

One of the few places I know in the lower 48 where you can hunt elk a hundred yards off the porch

Take care

dave

1 - 20 of 22 Posts