Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any ideas which solvents are effective on aged railroad grease? I want to sell my boat and want it to look like new. Anyone want to buy an EZ?

·
Registered
305 Posts
xylene it is a solvent with a very high flash point great for removing paint, sap, sitcker glue and will make tar run right off your car too like water and wont hurt the cars finish I used it on a used boat to get years of duct tape off and it didnt hurt the plastic. Wear good rubber gloves.

·
Registered
1,996 Posts
I'd try something along the lines of a hand cleaner, like GOJO or GOOP. Use solvents and petroleum products as a last resort. When in doubt, try it on your buddy's boat first. :shock:

·
Registered
331 Posts
Just go to the auto parts store.

A couple years ago a friend's kid got heavy railroad grease all over his clothes while hiking down the Royal Gorge. I gave her a cup or two of "Fast Orange" with pumice,--- the stuff that you clean your hands with after working on the car.

She pre-treated the clotheswith the stuff, scrubed them and they came out good as new in the wash. If it works on cloth, it should work on a boat easy.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Years ago I took my Huricane down the upper A and dragged it along the railroad tracks from Tacoma to the takeout parking lot- tons of creasote on the bottom (lazy yes, but it worked at the time). I just took it to the local car wash and blasted it with the engine/tire cleaner stuff- seemed to work ok but then again Prijon plastic is pretty tough stuff, not sure what it would do to a newer boat.
Bryan

·
Registered
480 Posts
Go to the hardware store and buy Goof Off. It works great.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts