Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am having a hell of a time keeping my Huka going straight through rapids. It keeps turning unexpectedly and I end up running rapids backwards. I have moved the seat all the way forward. What else can I do?

Could I be too heavy for the Huka? I weigh 220 pounds and am 6 ft tall.

If I tighten the back band foward, would that make a difference?

·
Registered
328 Posts
I don't paddle a Huka, and I don't know the paddler ranges on the boat, but try this: move the seat to a centered, or even further back position. at one point I tried moving the seat in my creek boat way forward thinking that it would boof more easily, and be less suseptible to squirting out of holes. But all this really accomplished was making the boat way squirley; ie dropping rapids backwards. I have found that keeping the seat about centered, and maintaining a forward, aggressive body position helps me keep my line through rapids (not always). Hope that works for you.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I agree with the other responder.

I thought I was too far back on my GUS. Right before running 100 fpm creek in PA I moved the seat forward. It was the scary trip I had in that GUS. The boat was squirrelly. Try a center position for seat and an aggressive posture.

·
Registered
790 Posts
Having paddled the Huka alot and being 180lbs, I would say you are on the upper end of the weight range but by no means TOO heavy for that boat. Like the other posters said, center position might help.... personally I paddle with my seat just forward of center for creeking. Try a few positions and see what works best for you.

Also, I dont know what your paddling skills are like but it could very well be a matter of technique and experience.... Many paddlers struggle with keeping their boat straight when learning and progressing. Just keep paddling and itll all come together!

·
Registered
698 Posts
meng, who are your boys that are interested in the "HOLE"...?? oh yeah,.... put your seat in the center position and keep your chin forward.....enjoy your wipeouts...it's called "play kayaking"

1 - 5 of 5 Posts