Mountain Buzz banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Banned
23 Posts
If you are sensitive to neoprene, look for clothing made from other materials. I believe that this kind of workwear will cost more, but you will not have to deal with the consequences of wearing neoprene.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Scuba divers wear a skin under their wetsuits. That might be a solution. It’s a thin onesie. Plus it’ll add some warmth.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I've lived out of a wetsuit for the past 20 years - kitesurfing and scuba diving. For some crazy reason I started breaking out from my wetsuit for no good reason. It was worse for one new wetsuit in particular. Wearing the rash guard didn't solve the issue, as there was still contact with the wetsuit at my wrist and legs.

As others have said, their are different types of neoprene. Wetsuits are unfortunately too expensive to just try and return - not to mention no one wants to wear a used wetsuit. I'm not familiar enough with kayaking to make any useful recs. Do spray skirts come in material other than neoprene?

I started pre-medicating with some benadryl or Claritin (both are histamine blockers which tame allergic reactions). After a year, I'm happy and relieved to see that this hypersensitivity has finally abated. Good luck!!!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The spray skirt is a large. I'm about 5'10" 150 it's not super tight but water stays out, I would think I'm allergic to the neoprene but i got it even with a nrs hoodie in between. I only have the rash around my abdomen but it's pretty bad and seems to keep getting worse.

·
Registered
319 Posts
It probably is an allergy to something, but the fact that you are isolating it from neoprene contact suggests it might be something other than the neoprene. Have you washed the skirt and other items in contact with the area? Is the water you are boating in potentially polluted?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
It probably is an allergy to something, but the fact that you are isolating it from neoprene contact suggests it might be something other than the neoprene. Have you washed the skirt and other items in contact with the area? Is the water you are boating in potentially polluted?
So this is exactly how it went down, to maybe sort this out, I bought a used kayak that came with a snapdragon spray skirt, like an idiot the first day I used it I did not wash it before hand as it looked very clean and fairly new as did the boat, I paddled shirtless with spray skirt and pfd at a reservoir. some of the reservoirs here are known to have swimmers itch from parasites that like geese and ducks, this reservoir has geese, I noticed a small rash around only abdomen where the spray skirt was, so I'm assuming it's not related to a swimmers itch situation. Next day I showered with all my wet gear shoes pfd and sprayskirt, again shirtless rash was slightly worse, again showered after. Next day I buy an nrs sun shirt to put in between and tucked it into shorts with the skirt over it, it's a wicking type shirt so maybe its much of a barrier to the neoprene. After the 3rd day of paddling the rash is full on hives, its only around my abdomen. Either the used spray skirt had some fungus that I still haven't cleaned thoroughly, the water in the reservoir is sketch, which I wouldnt doubt, they do not allow swimming all I've seen there are other kayakers didnt notice anyone else with rashes although I didnt pay too much attention. I have had my arms anlegs in the water with no issues but nothing tight is over them except my swimming shorts in the boat, Or I'm straight up severely allergic to neoprene and the silk weight shirt is not enough to prevent the allergy, really not sure what to do I want to go try a river today, and see if maybe its the water as some wetness is in between the skirt and stomach, maybe I need a tighter new skirt?

·
Registered
319 Posts
The neoprene in spray skirts is slightly porous, so it can absorb stuff. Sounds like you are on the right track. My guess would be something on/in the skirt, poison ivy? Throw it in the washer with hot water and plenty of soap. If it still bothers you, maybe it is the neoprene itself or the water you are boating in.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Could be heat rash. A neoprene skirt in hot conditions (like paddling flatwater in the heat of the day) could do that.

·
Registered
40 Posts
you could try soaking that skirt in a bucket with some mirazyme and water for a few hours then let it get blasted by the sun until it's completely dry. do that 2-3 times and it should remove anything living in there like molds and mildews, algae, and bacteria.

·
Registered
35 Posts
One way to approach it is to get to a clean baseline, and then work things out in a process of elimination.

Stay away from all that stuff for at least a couple days and make sure that belly rash is completely cleared up.
Then wear your rash guard, wait for a day to see if any rash develops.
Then walk around with your spray skirt again your bare skin at home, and see if anything pops up.
If you don't develop problems with the above, then maybe you can blame it on goose poop or poison ivy.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Went to the doctor and shes says looks like heat rash/contact dermatitis gave me some steroid cream says take zyrtec before hand and recommended using this chamois butter stuff that cyclists use under the shorts. I'm out paddling now and I'm approaching it as just getting out every now and then taking shirt off and letting my skin dry for a while before putting spray skirt pfd back on, I think as long as I dont stay in the boat with the neoprene over me for an extended period its fine, it doesnt really itch that bad it just looks gnarly.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Update on this awful rash, two weeks and the active rash is gone but its left dark patches of skin that I dont think will scar but might. This was a real pain in the ass and it it is still mildly itchy. Now I'm getting welts on arms and on top of ears badly burned to the point of open wounds. The heat and sun has really done a number on me still not sure If it's a neoprene allergy or if it was just heat rash. If i go out again with rashguard between spray skirt and start this process over again, I might be selling my stuff it's not worth it for the suffering of the rash.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Sometimes boating can be a pain in the rash, but for many the positives outweigh the negatives. Good luck and thanks for the update.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Sometimes boating can be a pain in the rash, but for many the positives outweigh the negatives. Good luck and thanks for the update.
I was very much enjoying it, but now that my rash around abdomen is healed I have staph infection on my ears and put on antibiotics doctor thinks it's from sunburn and lake/river water. This whole thing has been a real pain, havealways been an outdoor person have never had issues like this before. In the end I think most issues are due to extended periods in extreme heat but also probably some less than savory water.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts