1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Old Guy in a PFD
1,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
806 Posts
https://www.yahoo.com/tech/s/first-hydropower-plant-small-enough-backpack-meets-crowd-203346715.html

So these smart fellows have built a hydro generator small enough to fit in your river gear, powerful enough to charge up all your toys.

Kind of like your own little dam project. But mobile.

Schutzie can see the irony in this. I mean, rafters and kayakers using hydro power.

Schutzie is buying one.

And he lives in the desert.

Even more irony!
Why am I a little nervous, cynical, suspicious of an offer where under the $1400 pledge it says, "with a heavy heart we'll give away one of the four functional (italics mine) prototypes..."?

Prototypes avail in June, final product not until "October 2015". Seems like you may be fronting them R&D money for hopefully a product that works well some day. Good idea though.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Seems like at of money for something that could be made from a small car alternator and a paddle wheel.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Kickstarter continues to disappoint. People really have unrealistic time tables and expectations of ther own competency.

The $100 savings isn't worth the 90% chance this thing will utterly fail. Wait until things are proven in prodiction and have somke miles before jumping on.

I've backed a few projects. they have been dismal failures.

·
Skibum66
79 Posts
I use the solar to charge a battery from an electric kid car. 12 v, 12 amp hrs. Plenty of power for your devices. Plus it can be used camping anywhere.

Rich

1 - 9 of 9 Posts