Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im trying to come to durango soon and would like to run some good shit but wondering if everything it too high or what? it looks like all animas and all creeks are too high to run right now. what is the upper animas like at this level, possible for a raft or only kayak? thanks

·
Registered
648 Posts
ummmmmm

the town run is cake, it's just really fast and pushy. corner pocket is huge although it may wash out here soon as the flows push even higher. the big issue is wood, there's a lot of it and some of it is so damn big that I am surprised no one has been killed yet.

i flew up over the upper animas and all I can say is good luck, hope you have life insurance or really great health insurance.

·
Renaissance Redneck
1,257 Posts
my guage for the upper has always been the flow in town
3000 in town is a good level for the upper
with 8000 in town the upper must be deadly

·
Registered
114 Posts
High seas on upper matey. Ran it this weekend - did not run the box - although it looked doable. entrance hole in there was huge but was not retentative the line was totally different more center left. everything else looked fine in the box - except the takeout had like some "large" eddy fences.

there were some rafters down there too. a competent raft team would not have any problems - hopefully.

it basically just a lot of big water class IV/IV+. With the 3 named drops being class V big water. some very "large" holes that you must avoid - a couple looked lethal - which are not in the named drops. lots of rocks/boulders moving in the riverbed.

it'll be memorable if you're up for it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts