Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was watching this youtube video because I'm blessed with very little work and even less volition to do said work: YouTube - Lochsa River Madness 2009 LOCHSA.INFO

Lots of collision carnage. I noticed, however, that there are a lot of kayak-kayak collisions rather than the typical raft-kayak collisions. Are such kayak-kayak collisions deserving of the same level of venomous animosity, which is naturally reserved for the rubber Moby-Dicks that inevitably swallow up our little plastic Ahabs? I just wonder because it seems to me that kayakers will bitch about getting flattened by rafts yet rarely voice the same sentiment when a pointy-nosed-plastic-arrow of a bow attempts to perform an appendectimy on a fellow kayaker in mid-flat spin (or pre-window shade if I'm surfing).

·
Registered
844 Posts
Nice!

And yes, we yakers do not like to get speared by another kayak if we can help it. But getting flipped by another kayak collision is not the same as being run over and somewhat stuck under a raft. Do not be surprised if a knife comes through your floor if a yaker is trapped underneath. That said, in 16+ years of kayaking, I have never been run over even in Browns on a busy weekend. My self survival instinct has me getting out of the way if a boat load of tourists are hellbent to hit the wave/hole I am surfing.

I guess I better get back to work now.....

·
Registered
4,607 Posts
I'm at 4:23, it was an AWESOME FLIP!

As far as the collisions go, there's not much that can be done about them there at those levels. There is no place to eddy out, you can't see what happens to people unless you are already too close, the usual slightly slack water is now strong, and you row your heart out to stay upstream when someone (or a boat) gets stuck in a surf. Plus, there's tons of people/boats lined up to run it, and it's a bit of a clusterf##k. On sunday I ended up running it with someone else virtually at the same time, fortunately not both the same line. That was a bit more than disconcerting!

·
Registered
328 Posts
Got a kidney shot, flipped and then run over by a raft in the same hole a couple of weeks ago. Both in my party though so they just laughed at me.

·
Registered
701 Posts
seriously, That was awesome. I'll throw $10 bucks to the first person to get the complete loop and ride it out!! Who needs a kayak to rodeo! What percentage of boats flip at these levels? Looks like more than 50% in the video.

·
Registered
4,607 Posts
seriously, That was awesome. I'll throw $10 bucks to the first person to get the complete loop and ride it out!! Who needs a kayak to rodeo! What percentage of boats flip at these levels? Looks like more than 50% in the video.

There was someone in the video last year, that got even closer than I did. Our group of 30 cats had at least 10 flip, maybe 12 or so? And they were a seriously skilled group of cat boaters, but at least one was trying to rodeo and get a flip, which he did. I don't recall anyone else really wanting one. Keep in mind the video is all about the carnage, but I'd say 50% is low for the round rafts (esp with custies), and I have no idea about the yakkers.

·
Super Moderator
4,122 Posts
Great flip Laura!

and it looks like you learned something from it by the way you looked at 3:45 in the Sunday video!

·
Registered
4,607 Posts
Great flip Laura!

and it looks like you learned something from it by the way you looked at 3:45 in the Sunday video!
Wellll, there's a secret about Sunday's video clip. They didn't catch me going through the second wave. I'm 2 for 3 in the falls at levels 6.5 and above. It looks like I'll get another try this weekend. Time to go back and visit Neptune,

But for a first cat flip ever, and days 4 & 5 on a cat, I couldn't have asked for much better.

·
Registered
966 Posts
What was that inflatable romper room looking thing!?!

·
Registered
966 Posts
Romper Room

What was that inflatable romper room looking thing!?!

·
Registered
299 Posts
Nice flip Laura! Looks fun, even if it is not a kayak. :lol:

Beth, are you referring to the raft thingy with the tubed pillars on the top like @ 6:52 to 6:58? If so, it's called a Creature Craft. Otherwise, I'm not sure which romper room thing you are referring to.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts