Mountain Buzz banner
41 - 60 of 89 Posts

·
Premium Member
958 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,792 Posts
I've been told that any of them use a significantly small amount of juice such that they can be run for quite a while on a car battery and small inverter.
My new one has a transformer that the 120 volt cord is attached to, it kicks it down to 12 volts, and has a simple bridge rectifier circuit to convert AC to DC, if I was to put a tap in after the transformer it too would probably run on 12 volts

·
Registered
681 Posts
After schlepping cord upon cord of firewood as the sole source of heat in my last two houses, pellet stoves seem like a REAL good alternative.

Now, someone just needs to make a tent sized one(with a simple vent), so we don't derail this discussion further! 😄

·
Premium Member
4,792 Posts
We love ours, heated the whole house all year last year for a little more than $500. 1900 sq ft
It's clean, automatic, highly efficient, we burn about a third of a bag to a half a bag in 24 hours depending upon the temperature outside. Cleaning it once a week takes about 3 minutes...

I have a regular firewood wood stove in the garage, and wish it was a pellet stove..

It doesn't hurt that I have pallet forks for my backhoe, and can pick the pallets right up out of the bed of the pickup truck and set them where they need to be.

·
Premium Member
4,792 Posts
View attachment 78406

Sure seems like one could be packaged into a big ammo can or rocket box...

Anyone have more time on their hands than good sense?
It doesn't truly need to be that elaborate, but I think by the time you rigged up the induced draft blower, the blower to force air through it to produce heat, the auger, the drive motor, the pellet cup, you wouldn't have enough room left in a rocket box to actually have a fire, I could maybe see it happening in three rocket boxes, and then you would probably need to carry around a 12 volt car battery to make it work for any length of time.

And then there is sourcing the parts, which could possibly take more time than anything else. The model I have is the brand name enviro, it's made in Canada, but most everything else I've seen comes from China or Japan..

Reactions: westwatercuban

·
Registered
681 Posts
It doesn't truly need to be that elaborate, but I think by the time you rigged up the induced draft blower, the blower to force air through it to produce heat, the auger, the drive motor, the pellet cup, you wouldn't have enough room left in a rocket box to actually have a fire, I could maybe see it happening in three rocket boxes, and then you would probably need to carry around a 12 volt car battery to make it work for any length of time.

And then there is sourcing the parts, which could possibly take more time than anything else. The model I have is the brand name enviro, it's made in Canada, but most everything else I've seen comes from China or Japan..
THREE?!
Hell, one big enough to heat a small house isnt much bigger than two.
Something for a tent?
I'll bet it could be done in a rocket box...

·
Premium Member
4,792 Posts
THREE?!
Hell, one big enough to heat a small house isnt much bigger than two.
Something for a tent?
I'll bet it could be done in a rocket box...
I could actually and absolutely engineer something to fit in a rocket box. By the time you got done custom fabricating every last little part, hiring someone to cast you a tiny little pellet cup, and sourcing things like miniature blowers, and then finding a tiny little logic board that would drive things, I'll bet we could get her done for under $2,000.

That's why I was initially thinking off the shelf parts...

·
Registered
681 Posts
I could actually and absolutely engineer something to fit in a rocket box. By the time you got done custom fabricating every last little part, hiring someone to cast you a tiny little pellet cup, and sourcing things like miniature blowers, and then finding a tiny little logic board that would drive things, I'll bet we could get her done for under $2,000.

That's why I was initially thinking off the shelf parts...
Blower=computer fan(s)
Pellet cup? Couldn't something be made by a pottery shop? So what if it didn't hold up? Make a new one. Carry a spare.
Auger doesn't seem like a big hurdle.
Rechargeable batteries from your cordless tool brand of choice...
Small B-vent for fresh air and exhaust- run out through the door flap...

WHY AM I GIVING AWAY MY MILLION DOLLAR IDEAS?! 😝

It's just cause I like you fuckers.... 😇

·
Premium Member
4,792 Posts
Blower=computer fan(s)
Pellet cup? Couldn't something be made by a pottery shop? So what if it didn't hold up? Make a new one. Carry a spare.
Auger doesn't seem like a big hurdle.
Rechargeable batteries from your cordless tool brand of choice...
Small B-vent for fresh air and exhaust- run out through the door flap...

WHY AM I GIVING AWAY MY MILLION DOLLAR IDEAS?! 😝

It's just cause I like you fuckers.... 😇
Cant't duct a computer fan, and it's not powerful enough, need small squirrel cage blowers to generate enough airflow..
The pellet cups are essentially firebrick, so yes, if the pottery shop can make firebrick..

You'd need a small auger system, could likely buy one from a pellet stove supplier, along with the timing motor to drive it, and the logic board to tell it when to run, and button switches to shut it down in the event something went wrong.

Power tool batteries I doubt would be long lasting enough to run 2 blowers, auger and logic board though. Perhaps you could gang 4 or 6 of them together to last a night.

B vent would work, for a while... The acids in the smoke would likely eat the zinc coat after a bit.

Charlie, that's called stealing.. Not good boating karma, your tent would likely burn to the ground if you used stolen parts..🤔

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
I was waiting for someone to read about it but...anyway riley stove says ,"8hr burn on 40lb sack of pellets." Lol so not to efficient. These things are made for horse hunters lol. I suppose you could Cary 200lbs of pellets if you left your wife at home...badump ching...take my wife please. Ok wallrat here's what you do. You get a little stove (any one of them) you get a chainsaw (from your collection) qnd you get all toasty from 6:30-8 pm. Then you crawl into your plus sized 9000 fill 100% abused goose bag with your 100 dollar wool knickers and your favorite hat and wool socks and drift off to a peaceful sleep. If you invite turbo or Jack officer on your trip with the shit they cobbled together from their neighbors smoker, I'd suggest bringing a fire extinguisher and inreach. Lol! Man iam bored...need to find a one handed hobby...

41 - 60 of 89 Posts