Mountain Buzz banner
1 - 20 of 89 Posts

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I picked up a Luxe tent last fall after a freezing cold Main Salmon trip, and I’m looking at stoves for it now. It would be nice to get a four hour burntime, or something close to that. I’m looking at the larger sizes from Riley in Townsend, Mt., Seekoutside, and the generic foreign stoves online. I’d appreciate any wisdom on various models, re; burntimes, warpage, gas leakage, etc.
Right now I’m leaning towards the Riley, since I already have one for the walltent, and it’s solid. The tent:
https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/[email protected]?v=1650054703

·
Premium Member
4,754 Posts
I picked up a Luxe tent last fall after a freezing cold Main Salmon trip, and I’m looking at stoves for it now. It would be nice to get a four hour burntime, or something close to that. I’m looking at the larger sizes from Riley in Townsend, Mt. Seekoutside, and the generic foreign stoves online. I’d appreciate any wisdom on various models, re; burntimes, warpage, gas leakage, etc.

@Electric Mayhem had a tent and stove for sale a couple months back, perhaps shoot him a message. IIRC was a sweet little stove..

Reactions: Wallrat

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
Seekoutside or kifaru (titanium breakdown)are only maybe an hour or two with large branches or with hardwood..nice that they are light and pack small but they are more a "get warm" than a long burn. They'll chase you out of the tent while their going though. Big money and trapers and silly Canadian winter Polk campers all go with this guy, kni-co stoves. Snowtrekker tents now has one that's super similar (maybe same) all about like a riley but steel instead of galvanized steel. I think kni-co makes a stainless and a titanium but for like 1k bucks or some shit. You can borrow mine and see what you think. I've heard good things about riley and their right there in Townsend. Could even go chat with him!? Light and small equals hot while burning but no damper performance at all. Just burns and then cold but would save you from deep cold and wasy to re start yada yada.

·
Registered
403 Posts
I can’t recommend the SeekOutside u-turn stoves. They have these little wing nuts and are harder to put together with frozen hands at the end of a long day. There are also more air gaps than I’d prefer. I have a Winnerwell “Fastfold” titanium stove and love it. Looks identical to the one Charlie posted. Higher capacity than many of the other titanium offerings. Wood prep is easy.

If I had to do it again, I’d take a harder look at a cylinder stove like lite outdoors for more burn efficiency. But I’m stoked with my folding stove. Tons of field use and nary an issue. Takes 10 seconds to put up. You can also use it as a firepan without the top.

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
Oh yeah I forgot about those. Very popular stove indeed. They have fixed stoves too that sail boat guys love. Have the clear door for ambiance too so wallrat can snuggle his dogs while the fire flickers .....bwahaha!
Gas Auto part Font Metal Circuit component

Automotive lighting Rectangle Ingredient Recipe Food

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
I'd agree too in the light titanium stoves being a pain to put together. And they are sharp a.f. And of course dirty. I like mine for extended stays like hunting. I like my little kni Co for the snowmobile and weekends. I like my big heavy one for the wall tent and horse or truck access lol.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I’ve looked at the Winnerwell stoves too. I’m going to be staying away from the folding stoves. The idea of gas leaks in a tent is scaring me off. Whatever bulk/weight a solid stove adds it’ll pay for the first cold night.

These are looking pretty interesting…thanks for the heads-up. I hadn’t heard of them.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Wood Sleeve Floor Flooring Gas

Could always go with a Greasol. 20mm ammo can stove that burns veg oil. Keeps a 12x14 wall tent in sub freezing temps comfortable for 8-12 hours at a time, with no fuss. Note the can is red from rust not heat. Sorry about the picture quality, best one I have. Note, I didn't build it but have hundreds of hours of use with it, it performs nearly flawlessly.

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
I had a barrel style years ago from kifaru. They are not all that convenient lol. Those stainless cable rings you see are what holds its shape and the titanium is in a large sheet. Yada yada. The box style with wing nuts is bulkier but IMHO easier. More stable and less "puffy". If you don't want "puffy" you gotta get a welded one. All the others puffy pretty bad. I don't care really but it's annoying if tge tent gets to smokey . Best thing I did for last winter was buy a half cord of oak just for the stove. Even a big welded one will leak at the pipe and fitting a little. Dunno about carbon monoxide but they're so damn hot usually the doors open. If someday you get old (like next week thursday) the lightweight canvas snowtrekker is SO SO luxurious. Of course now you need an extra raft for all your gear lol.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
View attachment 78394
Could always go with a Greasol. 20mm ammo can stove that burns veg oil. Keeps a 12x14 wall tent in sub freezing temps comfortable for 8-12 hours at a time, with no fuss. Note the can is red from rust not heat. Sorry about the picture quality, best one I have. Note, I didn't build it but have hundreds of hours of use with it, it performs nearly flawlessly.
A quick search didn’t turn up anything…could you post pics of yours disassembled, or maybe plans/link?

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
I bought a 110 year old canvas wall tent from a 88 year old guy lol. He got it from his dad who bought it from a outfitter near Missoula whe he was younger Anyway , he was telling me stories and giving me secret hunting spots. I asked him what stove he liked and he said after he had used them all and yada yada he got rid of them all when he discovered those sunflower propain deals lol. 10 guys 10 answers lol. The old guy just loved them and no fuss. Maybe condensation ? but a old guy like that don't care but no condensation lol. Easy, no axes saws or picks. Little streams of alcohol come trickling down the rocks. Never wash your socks!
Sports equipment Automotive lighting Gas Machine Basketball hoop

·
Registered
5,731 Posts
Yeah, if you're concerned about puffy, you're in 20mm rocket box or welded stove territory. Or Riley.

Dad bought a Riley 35? years ago when he was in the small shop. I'd just learned sheet metal fab in metal shop and copied it out of old furnace duct material when I was about 14. I may build another similar.

I did build a knockoff kifaru out of sheet metal..it's not bad, but I'd prefer a bigger firebox...and if you want to bank down wood for the night, you need to keep excess air out (hence riveted or welded) and when it burns down to coals, you also need a tighter stove so it's not "puffy".

I'm thinking I'll do something 16-18" long and welded/riveted ala Riley...dealing with 12-13" long stoves means really small firewood. Firebox will need to be 8x10 or so to handle a couple 4" rounds.

·
Premium Member
4,754 Posts
I bought a 110 year old canvas wall tent from a 88 year old guy lol. He got it from his dad who bought it from a outfitter near Missoula whe he was younger Anyway , he was telling me stories and giving me secret hunting spots. I asked him what stove he liked and he said after he had used them all and yada yada he got rid of them all when he discovered those sunflower propain deals lol. 10 guys 10 answers lol. The old guy just loved them and no fuss. Maybe condensation ? but a old guy like that don't care but no condensation lol. Easy, no axes saws or picks. Little streams of alcohol come trickling down the rocks. Never wash your socks!
View attachment 78395
These things work remarkably well, I've never used one in a hot tent, but on October Deso trips the Cool Crisp mornings, they sure are nice to warm up cold hands.

·
Registered
5,731 Posts
View attachment 78395
I definitely wouldn't use one of those in a nylon tent..nylon doesn't breathe like canvas.

I'm dubious about a 110 year old wall tent...but then again I have a horse blanket that was my grandpa's and dad says it's older than him and he's 74.

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
Sold it me for 60 bucks. I keep bees on land next to his near middle creek . It's solid but ugly. Even took it to montana canvas and they said "see what we'll taken care canvas can do" lol. I just bought it for the story and when you camp in it it there's lots of dead elk ghosts buggling!
Plus I never lie...hear about my class v Wipeout ?

Attachments

1 - 20 of 89 Posts