Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Starting my dry box build today and am looking for some lid design ideas that will keep the river out. The box will be constructed with .080" aluminum and riveted together. I don't have access to an aluminum welder, only a shear, hand tools and brake. Have the skills to build it, just lacking the imagination to figure it out today.

·
Registered
385 Posts
image.jpg I like the rolled lip. It makes for a nice large gasket contact surface. Also make the lid really rigid. I'll try to post a pic of last one I made.

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Starting my dry box build today and am looking for some lid design ideas that will keep the river out. The box will be constructed with .080" aluminum and riveted together. I don't have access to an aluminum welder, only a shear, hand tools and brake. Have the skills to build it, just lacking the imagination to figure it out today.
Do you want to attach a seat? or is it just a straight drybox? Do you plan on making the box itself with any custom design or will it be pretty much like the rest of them that allow a gasket lip?

·
Banned
258 Posts
As far as I know we are the only one in the whole industry that have the machine to make the Tri-Radial lip. Most everyone contracts through a specialized fab shop and quite a few of those fab shops just have us make the boxes and send them out bent and formed and resell to the person who ordered through them.There is a guy in Montana with the necessary equipment but his tooling limitations you end up with a Taller lid portion. Where we can get down to 1.25 in height with our computerized press brake. We build all kinds of lid configurations for different people.

This year I am going to a factory wholesale to the public. I made the offer to other vendors who make boxes to order through us but they wanted to build their own still so we are going factory direct all USA made in Oregon Dryboxes any size 295.00 basically you are losing the middle man and the extra 200.00 of markup.
image.jpg ,

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Do you want to attach a seat? or is it just a straight drybox? Do you plan on making the box itself with any custom design or will it be pretty much like the rest of them that allow a gasket lip?
No seat, just a handle on each side. Have a DRE built frame with a seat, box will just sit under that. Think I will go with square tubing on the box itself and U-channel stuffed with gasket material on the lid for the mating surface.

·
Misspellingintothefuture!
1,901 Posts
Where can you buy gasket material? Desperately need to replace mine on wooden dry box.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Cascade outfitters has gasket material, home depot rubber door weatherstripping worked well last season. I was planning on using it as a temporary fix but it worked really well for last season at least. I had a custom drybox built, but handled installing the handles, hinge, latches, and seals myself to save some cash. It seals air tight with the rubber seal. If it gets cold when shut I have to pry the lid up from the difference in pressure.

·
Misspellingintothefuture!
1,901 Posts
Sweet! Thanks for posting some gasket sources! Been fighting with random hardware store material for years, and just never cuts the mustard.
There is deffinitly something to be said about building your own dry box though, adds a certain kind of satisfaction to your boating.

Just got to make mine stop leaking!

·
Registered
385 Posts
Oby1coby, I made that box for a friend of mine. On my little 4 foot Roper Whitney pan& box brake. Standard tri fold lid. Mattman, try essentra specialty tapes. Poron urethane acrylic backed gasket tape. Best I've found, same stuff dre uses at almost half the price.

·
Registered
129 Posts
This year I am going to a factory wholesale to the public. I made the offer to other vendors who make boxes to order through us but they wanted to build their own still so we are going factory direct all USA made in Oregon Dryboxes any size 295.00 basically you are losing the middle man and the extra 200.00 of markup.

View attachment 10725 ,
When is this going to happen?

What Co.?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts