Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
$15 in material cost: $4 1" pvc caps (6 pcs), $5 1" schedule 80 pvc electrical pipe 10' stick, $6 bungee cords. 6' rope and nonslip tape had it laying around.
time: 1.25 hours
how I did it: cut 3 pcs pipe 18" and drill holes to fit your rope, drill holes in caps to fit your bungee, thread rope thru bottom wrung (I taped it to hold in place), make a piece of wire with hook end and pull 6" loop of rope out each end of pipe, repeat with each wrung, tie bungee cord to each loop (I used a clove hitch and electrical tape on lose end of knot taping it to the main bungee line) and thread free end of bungee back thru the pipe so it sticks out, put bungee thru cap, pull snuggly and tie knot. the bungee pulls the loop of rope into the pipe and allows the rope to feed out thru the holes in the pipe when weight is applied. I cut the rope on the bottom wrung and tied it off , I added to loops in the anchor side of the ladder rope. add non slip tape. the knots from tying the bungee to main rope keep the wrungs from sliding on the main line. to collapse the ladder once opened just help feed the rope back into the holes, the bungee will help pull it in.
It may be crude but inexpensive. hopefully I won't have to test it during my upcoming winter grand trip.

Attachments

·
Registered
18 Posts
I like it. I see one in my future. I'm wondering how well the knots keep the rung from sliding down the rope. Have you tested it by attaching it to something and standing on the rungs?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thanks, Helena, Montana. Your concept is where I started about 10 years ago in developing the only self-stowing raft entry ladder. Rafters are so inventive and self-sufficient. I run into this every day, "What I do is...." Yeah, I used to do it that way, too. Time is too short for me now. I do it better than I used to. Here's what I do now after 5 years of development and 13 years of field testing: Rescue Rung Self-stowing Raft Entry Ladder - YouTube Clearly I design machines better than I do videos. hahahaha

You ought to mention in your clear and well illustrated description that not all bungee cords act the same. Some might not work as required. Consider elongation, retracted tension, extended tension, lifting power, diameter and so forth.

Maybe I'll improve my design based on your suggestions. My patent will still be valid.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Raft Entry Ladders -- The future is 10 years ago

My commercially purchased ladder has been engineered and tested to 750 pounds at its weakest point. It should handle twice that load. See the video. I'm sure the makeshift version will handle silt as well as mine does. There's no sliding or slipping with mine. In the early days of development I used some knots. Now I do better.

Regardless of how you relate to cost vs. utility vs. re-inventing the wheel, a well-engineered ladder (to virtually eliminate entanglement hazard and provide user-free stowage) is useful for ladies' mid-river urination needs, recreational swims, and self-rescue whether right side up or the other way (if rigged according to instructions).

Dr. Y

I like it. I see one in my future. I'm wondering how well the knots keep the rung from sliding down the rope. Have you tested it by attaching it to something and standing on the rungs?

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Hi,

Props to the OP for ingenuity and enterprise. I'm sure that his design will work for many folks.

But I would add that I'm a big guy -- 270# -- and I own two of Yeamans' Rescue Rungs. I've had occasion to use a rung twice on the Grand. It very capably handled my weight, and retracted well in consideration of the silty conditions it had been soaked in for several weeks. The reliability factor would seem to be a significant issue, particularly as to safely retracting after deployment, which is after all, the reason to use something like this instead of simpler designs.

The cost differential between this and a Rescue Rung is significant. But if you think about what a good oar shaft/blade combination costs, it's not out of proportion to the benefit obtained.

FWIW.

Rich Phillips

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I gave it my full weight test (185) and there was no slippage in the rungs. In reality all I really need is the bottom rung to get a foot on and I am able to get back in the boat. For this to retract after extension you need to feed the rope back into the tubes as the bungies pull it in. But since I made to extend and get me back in the raft, the retactabilty wasn't a major focus. I think it's an improvement over using a loop strap hanging over the side or trying to climb back in without any aid.
I've never seen a commercially made one in person. Hopefully the cease and desist request won't be in Dr Y's next post.
Hey Dr Y, checkout my old thread " getting ready for the grand", you should develop my "Grover hanger". It worked great last dec and will be going again with me in January.

·
Registered
34 Posts
That doesn't even make sense. Hershey wrapper? Neither does a rescue ladder, though. If you can't get back in raft - try a different sport. Maybe bowling...fat people seem to be really good at that.

·
Registered
828 Posts
You could just save yourself the time and energy and learn how to pull your ass back into the boat....
Jeez, what's with the snarky comment? Here's someone offering an idea to help other rafters. Something that despite your attitude clearly has been proven to have a need among many boaters.

Same guy who offline generously offered to help me build a toilet seat bracket for my boxes. I like his attitude a lot better than yours.

·
Registered
2,191 Posts
You could just save yourself the time and energy and learn how to pull your ass back into the boat....
Glad you never had to swim in cold class IV water to get to your boat. After about a minute it's practically impossible

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
bowling

Try Bowling....., what a great suggestion, good thing there's a bowling alley in my shop. I'll give it a try.

Attachments

·
Registered
94 Posts
Best come back line of the year! Love the pic, you are the man! I don't understand how you can bowl given that you are not fat. By the way, I want to come work in your shop. Wait, I want to come drink beer and bowl in your shop and tell my wife that I am working.

Thanks for the plans for the ladder. Will save my back trying to pull my kids in after they jump in for a swim. I guess rgAHOLE forgot that rafting can be a family affair and not all of us are muscle bound.

·
Registered
2,191 Posts
Best come back line of the year! Love the pic, you are the man! I don't understand how you can bowl given that you are not fat. By the way, I want to come work in your shop. Wait, I want to come drink beer and bowl in your shop and tell my wife that I am working.

Thanks for the plans for the ladder. Will save my back trying to pull my kids in after they jump in for a swim. I guess rgAHOLE forgot that rafting can be a family affair and not all of us are muscle bound.
185 lbs sounds morbidly obese

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I'm trying to diet but keep getting sucked in to bowling and eating with my fat friends.

·
Registered
3,344 Posts
So if your boat is upside down in a rapid, and the water is cold, and you are a skinny/buff person with no body fat for insulation, wouldn't you want a ladder to help you get back in your boat quickly???? Although, us lard ass folks with lots more insulation want back in just as fast. I mean, really, the faster we get back in and get the boat flipped over, the faster we can make sure out twinkie stash is safe in the dry boxes. :p Just kidding! Nice work on the ladder mrkayak. What ever makes the river a little safer is a good thing.

·
Registered
1,996 Posts
So if your boat is upside down in a rapid, and the water is cold, and you are a skinny/buff person with no body fat for insulation, wouldn't you want a ladder to help you get back in your boat quickly???? Although, us lard ass folks with lots more insulation want back in just as fast. I mean, really, the faster we get back in and get the boat flipped over, the faster we can make sure out twinkie stash is safe in the dry boxes. :p Just kidding! Nice work on the ladder mrkayak. What ever makes the river a little safer is a good thing.
It would probably take a skinny/buff person longer to find the ladder that it would to just climb up on the boat. Adrenalin goes a long way in skinny/buff people. That's what gets you them back in the boat when they don't have the fat to slow them down.

·
Registered
522 Posts
Thanks for sharing the ladder construction, I have been considering doing something similar. I really like the no slip grip you put on the rungs. I am in the process of purchasing an expedition cataraft, which means big tubes. Because the tubes will have a 27.5 inch diameter the reach for any good hand holds will be substantial, making a ladder or two an important piece of equipment.

·
Registered
1,996 Posts
Hey Catwoman.......I was in the canyon the other day, walking past this Breezy cave....and I heard it call your name.....no joke!!! I heard it plain as day. I started talking to it and it mentioned it needed a bridge inspection.....do you know any inspectors that want to crawl around.....in the ground....and do some inspecting?

1 - 20 of 46 Posts