Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since i live a good weekend's distance from the river, i was trying to think of ways that i could boat without having to plan a trip. One thing i thought of doing was making a rapid in the South River that runs through my town (conyers,GA). I thought i could make some type of structure out of wood or whatever was lying around to make a simple wave for surfin/play. I doubt anyone would complain because the river has trash in it anyway and people don't pay too much attention to it. Has anyone ever seen this done or tried it themselves? I was just thinkin and was wondering what you guys thought about it.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Bet wood wouldn't last long. I've moved rocks around to help my favorite play hole, but the river has a way of smoothing everything back out again unless it something huge. Then it takes a little longer. I give Glen Canyon Dam 300 years max. Ron.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Yea, wood doesn't seem like a good idea. Sand bags may be your best bet if you can't move 500 lb rocks.

To create a wave, you want a smooth drop where the water can gather speed and hopefully constrict a little. At the end of the drop, you want a pool and perhaps a little bump on the river bottom.

If you try it, please post how it works!

·
Registered
70 Posts
I really like mountains reply. I hate to admit it but I got carried away with this idea once at my local river. It already had rapids but no play,so I spent maybe 4 hours moving huge rocks off the river bank into the river. A hundred or so cuts,scrapes,and two near drownings later I had A small ender spot. The following weekend (like Don said) everything was gone. :cry:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts