Mountain Buzz banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Buzzards, I'm building a 4bay frame for my Aire SDP with locally sourced schedule 40 aluminum 1 1/4 in 6061 pipe. I have the pipe, and will also get my oars and oar towers locally, at DRE, so really right now I'm wondering about the fittings.

I've read on here that Hollaender fittings are the way to go, particularly Speed Rail. I'm having trouble grasping what differentiates "Speed Rail" from the rest, and what Speed Rail means, and I also am on a time crunch to get my frame done in the next week for an upcoming trip (would prefer to row not r2) so I can't order parts that will be here in a week, need to pick up locally.

Anyway, I found Hollaender brand 1 1/4" tee and elbow fittings available at Grainger Industrial Supply locally. Do you think any of these Hollaender fittings will work okay to hold the frame together? If not, what's so special about the other kinds of fittings?

Here are some options, first one seems better:

Thanks!
-Allie

RMR, Hyside, NRS, Sawyer, K2 coolers, Whitewater Worthy Trailers, Frames and soft goods
812 Posts
Buyrailings.com
# 3
# 30a

I sell towers that you cut to height.
Have fun.

Reactions: MT4Runner

·
Beater
194 Posts
Lower left is a 90 degree elbow, drilled and pinned, couple of normal tee's, the wider tee's are old fittings with three set screws on the top, the cross fitting on the third bar in the photo holds an umbrella.

I would make sure DRE has the 1.25 -> 1.5 oar tower base and oar towers in stock, using that size pipe means you could also try to find the NRS oar towers
. Automotive tire Wheel Wood Motor vehicle Tire

·
Registered
533 Posts
Hollaender speedrail is what DRE uses to build their frames.
I've build three frames with them in the past two years.
They work just fine.

·
Registered
it doesn’t have to be fun to be fun
144 Posts
i purchased hollaender fittings thru grainger's ebay store a few months back ... if memory serves, shipping was a bit less than thru grainger's website. worth checking anyways :)

RMR, Hyside, NRS, Sawyer, K2 coolers, Whitewater Worthy Trailers, Frames and soft goods
812 Posts
Buyrailings.com #3 $19.27
DRE ???

Not sure how much DRE is but I’d find it hard to believe it’s less.

enjoy your project.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts