Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So.. I read some reviews and saw some videos of the Igloo sportsman coolers. People seem to like them in general but I noticed several reports of tiny pinholes in the bottom and other places on the cooler. I saw this myself after looking at a few at Sams last night. Here's the thing, they are not flaws. There are a few tiny purposefully drilled holes in the coolers. The patterns were too symmetric to be accidents or flaws so WHY? Can anyone help me understand why Igloo would do that?

My first thought was to vent air during temp and altitude changes but I don't think thats it since there are other larger holes in the outside for hardware??

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
Inside? Outside? Focus on the details.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Mountain Buzz mobile app

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
No, purely a consumer of rafting related products. Actually I'm an engineer :rolleyes: - really a Geologist that works for an engineering firm. Is it ok for me to use emoji's?

I've never actually seen a Madcow product up close. I will confess that I'm not a big fan of the welded, mitered corners on their frames. Boxes look nice though.

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
back to the cooler. Maybe it's some sort of venting during construction? That or they're copying Aire and the cooler can take on some water - you know for ballast.

·
Registered
482 Posts
emojis

No, purely a consumer of rafting related products. Actually I'm an engineer :rolleyes: - really a Geologist that works for an engineering firm. Is it ok for me to use emoji's?

I've never actually seen a Madcow product up close. I will confess that I'm not a big fan of the welded, mitered corners on their frames. Boxes look nice though.
Geologist are ok; do a little dirt work myself.
Emojis however................................
........................are just gay.
I pegged you for a Madcow entity; merely by proximity. MT is another safe haven when the west coast falls into the ocean.

·
Premium Member
1,348 Posts
:confused:Can we please get back to OB1's cooler holes,
the suspense is killing me:rolleyes:

·
Registered
446 Posts
Call the mfr

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
OK, so I'll try to get to everyone questions and comments in one reply.

1. Inside or Outside? really? Who's going to drill holes on the inside of the cooler?? But anyway attached is a pic that I took of the 20qt. The larger 55qt had these same holes in the bottom (outside for those of you who need the clarification)

2. Gary, I know it wasn't you. I think I mentioned that I saw these at Sams Club. As Elk said lets try to pay attention to the details here eh? :rolleyes:

3. We definitely need to get out of the dark ages on the Buzz and get some updated emoji's

4. Maybe they're actually trying to copy SOTAR by easily getting holes. :eek: That's right I said it.

5. All funning aside, Has anyone here actually tried calling Igloo. It's a nightmare. No one actually knows anything about their products or where to transfer you for any actual useful information. It looks like Yukon and Sportsman models are their own separate mysterious divisions that no one can contact.

My last Yukon 120 was fantastic! I honestly think it could be the best insulated and toughest cooler on the market. But I had to sell it because the HUGE built in handles were in the way everything on a raft.

The Sportsman intrigues me. It is roto-molded and I hope it is as tough and well insulated as my Yukon. And yes it is sold at Sams instead of some haughty-taughty raft store but I guess that is why they have such a reasonable price. Anyway thanks for the participation and let me know what you think. Thanks.

Attachments

·
Misspellingintothefuture!
1,901 Posts
ob1coby;468329 4. Maybe they're actually trying to copy SOTAR by easily getting holes. :eek: That's right I said it. [/QUOTE said:
Swim Over To Another Raft ?

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
I'm loathe to say it since Gary has been on a plastics venting rant mode lately, but I suspect they are vent holes for when they inject the insulation. As the insulation is injected and fills the inside up, it pushes air out and if they don't make a place for it to go it traps the air inside and makes pockets of air. I'm sure it doubles as a way to let it breath and not accumlate moisture inside too. They probably inject it through the larger holes for the hinges and latches and it travels towards these smaller holes, hence the need for both. Also possible that the hinge/latch holes are in a place where there is only solid plastic so they don't vent through those. I'd need to poke at it a bit more with my own eyes and brain to really tell.

I'm not with Igloo (or any cooler companies for that matter), but that is my armchair engineer guess at least.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Maybe those holes are where you stuff your weed? Reminds me of an SNL episode.....or two...

·
Registered
482 Posts
You get the prize

I'm loathe to say it since Gary has been on a plastics venting rant mode lately, but I suspect they are vent holes for when they inject the insulation. As the insulation is injected and fills the inside up, it pushes air out and if they don't make a place for it to go it traps the air inside and makes pockets of air.
I'm not with Igloo (or any cooler companies for that matter), but that is my armchair engineer guess at least.
Now if you want to find out if the insulfoam got complete coverage, take a peek with an infrared camera. Insert a heat lamp inside the box and frequently you'll see small pockets of unencumbered heat loss.

Now one should really ask, "What's so special about a store bought cooler that you couldn't do yourself at three times the quality for half the price."

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Now if you want to find out if the insulfoam got complete coverage, take a peek with an infrared camera. Insert a heat lamp inside the box and frequently you'll see small pockets of unencumbered heat loss. "
That's a great idea. especially while it is so cold up here that would be an interesting test to run on a bunch of coolers. Anyone got one?

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
1. Inside or Outside? really? Who's going to drill holes on the inside of the cooler?? But anyway attached is a pic that I took of the 20qt. The larger 55qt had these same holes in the bottom (outside for those of you who need the clarification) ....
yeah, that's why I asked the question - who knew where the holes were. Presonally I'd be a lot more worried if they were inside than outside! A semi vague post may warrant basic questions. After all you did say the holes were "on the bottom and other places".

I was googleing the holes issue on the igloo sportsman yesterday - didn't find anything direct but there were lots of comments on pulling the drain plug and looking inside. Apparently some coolers didn't get full foam coverage and you can see it as light coming through the shell. That lends credence to the venting while foaming theory. Maybe it's a change they've made after the fact to fix that issue. It doesn't bode well for those coolers though, many manufacturers ditch problem products through big box stores.

It might be a simpler check than an IR gun...just saying.

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
yeah, that's why I asked the question - who knew where the holes were. Presonally I'd be a lot more worried if they were inside than outside! A semi vague post may warrant basic questions. After all you did say the holes were "on the bottom and other places".
Touche

Here I am asking "who would drill holes on the inside", but who would drill them on the outside too? right? That post was supposed to sound more tongue and cheek that it did. I still don't have a method on conveying tone in my typing yet.

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
y Apparently some coolers didn't get full foam coverage and you can see it as light coming through the shell. That lends credence to the venting while foaming theory. Maybe it's a change they've made after the fact to fix that issue. It doesn't bode well for those coolers though, many manufacturers ditch problem products through big box stores.

It might be a simpler check than an IR gun...just saying.
I agree. Bummer though. I was hoping for more out of these coolers, but I'm not done checking yet.

I have access to a really good Thermal imaging device. I think it would be fun to do a wide sweeping cooler test with one. How to do a fair, consistent test though??

·
Registered
207 Posts
I agree. Bummer though. I was hoping for more out of these coolers, but I'm not done checking yet.

I have access to a really good Thermal imaging device. I think it would be fun to do a wide sweeping cooler test with one. How to do a fair, consistent test though??
Could you do this on the NRS Big Sky line? I never heard about why they stopped carrying / manufacturing those.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts