Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Hobie...

I am considering purchasing a Nomad this spring but am not sure what size would be best for me.

The weight limits for the Nomad on Dagger's site are as follows:

8.1: Paddler weight range: 120 - 170 lbs (54-77 kg)
8.5: Paddler weight range: 160 - 240 lbs (73 - 109 kg)

I weigh between 155 and 165 depending on how many bon bons I eat... but add boating clothing/gear I am sure I am over 170. Not to mention safety gear and sometimes self support gear/food.

I know you paddled the 8.1 in the Gore race and it seemed to do quit well for you... and I think... appologies if I am mistaken... but you are well outside the 170 upper limit of the 8.1.

Any thoughts on what boat would be my best choice?

Thanks
Alex

·
Premium Member
1,890 Posts
Alex-

you're welcome to take my 8.5 to the pool- I think Kevin has the 8.1 and I'm sure he'd give you a shot at it.

Given your propensity for self-support & your Cali trip coming up, I think you'd like the 8.5.

Specific to your needs: I believe it will also carry your "anatomically correct" inflatable Erik Estrada doll and chiffon prom dress, all without affecting the boat's trim. :lol:

·
Registered
38 Posts

Im 160-170 dependent on variations of beer intake/paddling and love the 8.5. I thought the 8.1 was good for gore but I rather sit high and resurface than go deeper. But I also came from a gus which is also the same length and uses a similar paddling style. Russell

·
Registered
518 Posts
I'm about 180-85 lbs and found the smaller nomad okay in small stuff but kinda scary squirrly in pushy water. Now have the bigger nomad and love it, will bust through anything and responds great. i'd recomend the larger size for anyone over 170 lbs, especially if you wanna do overnights. My only complaint with the Nomad is that the back of the cockpit comes down real low and makes fitting a bigger pelican box or stuffing gear back there a pain in the ass. other than that, I think it is a great safe creek boat.
the creeks are gonna go huge in NM this spring, bigger boat is mo better this yr.
adios, atom..
newmexicoh2o.com

·
Registered
38 Posts
Hey atom

Hey Atom, Hobie whats your opinion, I was told that if you cut the stern foam wall so it is even with the cockpit rim that it will be easier to get stuff in. Leave the bottom half that wedges the seat in place. lt sounds like it should work and not decrease the structural stabiltiy. What do you all think of this? Russell

·
Registered
8 Posts
I know this may not apply to this particular post, but I thought I'd mention it. The cockpit on the nomad is absolutely unacceptable for the bigger paddler. I'm 6'4 and I don't care about the other characteristics. If I can't get out of the boat in a hurry, I'm not interested in paddling the thing down a creek.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts