Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm taking the family to the Moab area this weekend. How is the camping at Hittle Bottom? What day runs would you reccommend above or below Hittle Bottom? Are there any day runs that are 5 to 10 miles in length? I'm looking for something short becaue we have a 22 month old & a 10 month old and not enough time/energy to pack for an overnighter. Both kids have been on the Chama several times. Any insight or suggestions?

How are the bugs right now?

Thanks in advance,
bs

·
Registered
134 Posts
Dewey Bridge to Hittle Bottom is a slow float with no rapids, Hittle Bottom to Take out Beach (The Daily) is a fun run with a few rapids around II+, III- at these levels. Lots of flat water right now but I’ve run both of them in a day on an overnighter (i.e. Dewey to Hottle Bottom 1st day and Hittle bottom to takeout beach the second).

I’ve been gathering GPS coordinates for boat launches and posting them here
http://sites.google.com/site/boatlaunchlocations/

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Dewey Bridge to Hittle Bottom is a slow float with no rapids, Hittle Bottom to Take out Beach (The Daily) is a fun run with a few rapids around II+, III- at these levels. Lots of flat water right now but I’ve run both of them in a day on an overnighter (i.e. Dewey to Hottle Bottom 1st day and Hittle bottom to takeout beach the second).]

How far and or how long are these floats at 3,000 to 4,000 cfs? I appreciate the input.

bs

·
Registered
37 Posts
I just went hittle bottom to take out beach monday-tuesday. We made it an overnighter. I would say it is all class 2 right now, a lot of it felt like a lake. It is about a four and 1/2 hour float at the moment. Camping at hittle bottom looked okay, some nice shady spots if they are open. Bugs were not that bad.

·
Registered
808 Posts
we are doing the same this weekend. i assume the boat ramps at hittle and takeout are functional with the low flows?

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Time on the water?

Are there any other take outs before take out beach from Hittle bottom? We have 2 small kids without any other adults and are trying to avoid a long long day on the water. Is it doable to float from Hittle to take out beach in 5 hours?

Thanks,
bs

·
Registered
37 Posts
Are there any other take outs before take out beach from Hittle bottom? We have 2 small kids without any other adults and are trying to avoid a long long day on the water. Is it doable to float from Hittle to take out beach in 5 hours?

Thanks,
bs

Rocky rapid is a good take out, cut out about an hour. It took us about 41/2 hours hittle to take out. Also there is a fire ban right now along the colorado in Moab.

·
Registered
59 Posts
the dilly daily is low and slow right now. pretty much the most rocks out youre gonna see.

id recommend putting in at onion creek (youll see the turnoff from 128 and go down a bumpy road then there are two narrow boat launches, youll have to be adept at turning around a trailer in small areas) and taking out at rocky, or even sandy if you want a longer day. its a good half day onion to rocky...this is where commerc trips switch out peeps or do lunch sometimes. there are 3 straightforward rapids on this stretch. or whatever, hittle is not much further upstream if you want to keep it siimple.

if you went down to sandy or take out there is a lot more flatwater, most noteably whites' lake above the rapid which is a killer and it has doldrums written all over it.

as far as camping, id camp at onion. right across from the put in. but then you have to compete with other private families, drunken river pirates, and the commerc crew. i dont mind but i dont have small ones.

bugs are out but not bad.

oh, and a side note. do NOT rent jet skis and take them up and down the rapids at this level. you WILL hit a rock and endo your craft. take it from me...

just so you know :)

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for the help. See you out there on Sunday, I will have the family in a blue daddy cat.

bs

1 - 13 of 13 Posts